Author Topic: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report  (Read 331755 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8970
    • Conrail 1285
Re: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report
« Reply #1980 on: May 27, 2016, 03:00:22 PM »
I have enough Pennsy projects to satisfy the mood.  Besides, I want to have at least one finished N scale layout on hand at any given time... :)

In terms of Pennsy projects, besides rolling stock and motive power projects, now I get to build VIEW tower and Sherman's Creek bridge!

Thinking for the crossovers on the bridge I might go ME #6s because they have springs on the throws.

I think that's an excellent idea.
I remember when Jerry did his, he used extended rods that stuck out the back, but yours will be visible from both sides, right?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5631
« Reply #1981 on: May 27, 2016, 03:07:55 PM »
That image is probably from DKS and I just saved it to draw over.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
« Reply #1982 on: May 27, 2016, 03:11:06 PM »
Do you have to do the crossovers on the bridge, or are you trying to replicate the prototype?

DFF

Yes.    :D

I think that's an excellent idea.
I remember when Jerry did his, he used extended rods that stuck out the back, but yours will be visible from both sides, right?

No, just visible from the one side.  But I don't want to do that whackadoodle lever thing.  The more moving parts, the more probability of eventual failure.

These crossovers will govern entrance/exit from staging, but I don't mind having them be manual if they're going to be both visible and easily accessible.

If I do end up doing the curved turnouts to lengthen the staging tracks then thy also end up being more visible and accessible, and that's always good.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:17:37 PM by Dave Vollmer »

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #1983 on: May 27, 2016, 05:03:17 PM »
+1
EDIT:  Does anyone know more about the geometry of these guys?

PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

C62-2

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #1984 on: May 28, 2016, 12:15:53 AM »
The inner curve is 280 mm and the outer curve is 317 mm, both making 45 degrees of curve.

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/1278-9.htm

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1985 on: May 28, 2016, 01:26:03 PM »
This bullsh!t has happened to me with 3 different Atlas #5s while building the Colorado Midland.  This is why I'm way of using Atlas turnouts.

EDIT:  I was able to fix it by soldering the adjacent joint and CA glue-ing the rail back in place.  Hopefully all that plus the bonded ballast that follows will keep it there for good.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:54:56 PM by Dave Vollmer »

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
« Reply #1986 on: May 28, 2016, 02:01:41 PM »
This bullsh!t has happened to me with 3 different Atlas #5s while building the Colorado Midland.  This is why I'm way of using Atlas turnouts.

EDIT:  I was able to fix it by soldering the adjacent joint and CA glue-ing the rail back in place.  Hopefully all that plus the bonded ballast that follows will keep it there for good.

Honestly Dave I have many #5's and never, ever had that happen.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #1987 on: May 28, 2016, 02:16:37 PM »
It may not help you in that situation, but the best fix, before you install the turnout, is to pull that short piece of rail out and run your adjacent flextrack rail long into there.  Be sure to leave the rail gap near the frog, but this eliminates a rail joint.  You have to pull the rail straight out to prevent breaking the spikes.  If you have two turnouts back-to-back, both pieces can be pulled and a longer piece of scrap inserted, again eliminating a rail joint.  Only if you're abuting the stock rail of an adjacent turnout are you prevented from this fix.

Hope this helps (although it may not save this turnout, if the spikes are broken),
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1988 on: May 28, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »
+1
It may not help you in that situation, but the best fix, before you install the turnout, is to pull that short piece of rail out and run your adjacent flextrack rail long into there.  Be sure to leave the rail gap near the frog, but this eliminates a rail joint.  You have to pull the rail straight out to prevent breaking the spikes.  If you have two turnouts back-to-back, both pieces can be pulled and a longer piece of scrap inserted, again eliminating a rail joint.  Only if you're abuting the stock rail of an adjacent turnout are you prevented from this fix.

Hope this helps (although it may not save this turnout, if the spikes are broken),
DFF

Like I said, I was able to fix this one, but still, wow...  I think what's happening is when I'm soldering frog-to-frog I must be weakening the spikes (even though I use a heat sink).

Track soldering for the Midland is done as of this morning....thank God!

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
« Reply #1989 on: May 28, 2016, 04:27:13 PM »
I think what's happening is when I'm soldering frog-to-frog I must be weakening the spikes (even though I use a heat sink).

That could be... I did not solder mine in that manner. Unless there's a problem or a reason for doing so, I never solder in turnouts– just for the reason if there is a problem they're easier to pull up.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1990 on: May 28, 2016, 04:54:53 PM »
+1
I've always been gun-shy about dead spots so I'm a solderaholic.  The Midland is a "show layout" so maximum feeders and soldered joints!

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #1991 on: May 29, 2016, 01:27:22 AM »
Do you do roundy-roundy on both mains at once?

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1992 on: May 29, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »
+1
Do you do roundy-roundy on both mains at once?

Yep.  It's more fun that way!

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1993 on: May 29, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »
+3
Before and after... Red Caboose 42' flatcars lettered as PRR class FM.

I used craft paints primarily...  Folk Art paint from Hobby Lobby.  "Country Twill" for the deck (with some other random grays and browns on individual planks) and then a thin wash of Americana "Soft Black" (which is essentially a very dark grayish-brown) covered everything.  The trucks and couplers were hit with fine rattle-can mists of Floquil Rail Brown and Rustoleum Weathered Wood.  The wheel faces were painted PolyScale Railroad Tie Brown, and lastly the MTL "glad hands" were coated with Neolube.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
« Reply #1994 on: May 29, 2016, 02:55:13 PM »
Wow! Very nice Dave!