Author Topic: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report  (Read 331632 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
Re: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report
« Reply #1800 on: December 21, 2014, 08:51:59 PM »
How about building it with dominoes?  David Popp showed how to build a shelf under MR's current layout with 1"x2"s and thin plywood.  Essentially, you build your own HCD in the size you need.  You could build a shelf-style layout around the perimeter of the room (with even a peninsula), without having to even put one screw into the wall. It would be easier to move smaller sections than a HCD-sized chunk of you ever move again.  But, we both know you have successfully moved HCD-sized layout portions, too.  If you get away from an island-style layout, the design could really open up to do some Pennsy stuff exquisitely, multiple tracks and broader curves.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8966
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #1801 on: December 21, 2014, 09:52:33 PM »
I like the domino idea. Make it modular and it gets to be much more reusable. Also, if you get tired of one section, or have problems with it, out it goes.

Also, depending on how you do them, you can even take them places to show it off (like a PRR T&HS convention).

Then again... if you think you want to try some HOn3 stuff. Why not try it? Maybe get a kit or two? Make up a domino. See if it's something you're into. You don't have to have a single layout. Ask me how I know.

I think the idea of starting from scratch might be part of the fun of it. I mean, lets face it, you know how to do the JD thing. I mean, hell, as far as this stuff goes, getting into GMR is kinda like getting on the podium at the Olympics. I can see how you'd want to try a new challenge.

That being said, don't get rid of all the JD stuff. Keep the equipment. Hell, keep the layout (just stash it somewhere if you can).

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #1802 on: December 21, 2014, 10:07:32 PM »
One of the underlying themes I have seen in the 32 years of playing with trains is that trackwork is what makes or breaks your enjoyment in the hobby. It sounds like your trackwork is breaking it. I say rip it up, relay it from the cork up with C55 or rip out the cork and put down unitrack. While you are at it you can expand or make any changes. Your in a slump. I was there for 4 years. I did NOTHING model RR related except 5 mins every few months here and there. Now I am coming back into it. It happens. It will pass.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9183
« Reply #1803 on: December 21, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »
So yeah, some reflective time while soaking in the hot tub...

This slump is only marginally about model railroading.  The big thing looming is my retirement eligibility and every unanswered question after that.  Stay in?  Stay here?  Go where?  Do what?  The model railroad is just a symptom.

Then again, I've never let uncertainty bother me before...  Why now?

Thought about reusing Enola somehow, but by straightening the yard throat.  Then I remembered it's 2' wide, and started thinking I may not have enough aisle width.

I had a chat with Jacob.  He's completely lost interest in his layout.  So, I can use that space, and I can reuse all of the materials.

Another thought is using the 2.5 X 5 space that Jacob's layout takes up and do a Colorado Midland N scale vignette.  The Midland is probably my favorite Colorado road after the RGS.  2.5 x 5 is a lot of space for turn-of-the-century steam.

This is what I had in mind:

https://books.google.com/books?id=sKUetsS-SpMC&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=laurel+highland+track+plan&source=bl&ots=O15ES5eOMY&sig=k-P4hfSpfAXww4e1TdGGA03epE4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0o6XVLroL8KYyATcnIKgAw&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=laurel%20highland%20track%20plan&f=false

EDIT:  Yep, that's what I'm gonna do.  N scale Colorado Midland micro-layout.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:31:01 PM by Dave Vollmer »

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #1804 on: December 21, 2014, 10:30:52 PM »
You already answered your question. Your unsure of your future. USAF is all you ever known for a while now. It told you how to work, where to live, how to dress, everything. Now the end is in sight and you wont have the structured life you are currently in. It happens to most people who have done 20 or more years.

That layout in the link is nice, I explored it years ago for something to do while I did not have room for anything else. A mikado or consol with a few coal cars would be perfect with that if you did standard gauge.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #1805 on: December 21, 2014, 11:04:57 PM »
Yeah the stay in stay out is never an easy decision :?
 Going to try to stick to my plan of getting out and getting back to northeast PA, hopefully it all works out well
But if you get out you can move back east and stop moving every 2 years! 8)
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8966
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #1806 on: December 21, 2014, 11:24:23 PM »
If you're gonna build that layout, I think you're required to properly attire yourself:

All kidding aside though, I like the idea of the CM micro-layout.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #1807 on: December 21, 2014, 11:37:17 PM »
Yes! CM micro layout! That's the original transcontinental link in my alternate history. It's also a major turning point for my PRR. It would be a lot of fun for me to see your interpretation of the prototype CM sitting right next to the prototype PRR.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1808 on: December 21, 2014, 11:41:01 PM »
I'm gonna need a crap-ton of custom decals...   :facepalm:

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5631
« Reply #1809 on: December 22, 2014, 12:07:23 AM »
I love that trackplan so build it  8)

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #1810 on: December 22, 2014, 01:43:21 AM »
Colorado Midland; perfect! If you haven't yet, I would pick up a copy of Sam Posey's book which talks about building his Colorado Midland layout; it might help with the slump a bit as well.
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1811 on: December 22, 2014, 08:35:51 AM »
Colorado Midland; perfect! If you haven't yet, I would pick up a copy of Sam Posey's book which talks about building his Colorado Midland layout; it might help with the slump a bit as well.

I do have "Daylight through the Divide" by Dan Abbot.  I actually met the author at a train show in Woodland Park at a community center which, ironically, sat on the Midland grade.

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #1812 on: December 22, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »
Dave,

Just catching up on this thread - was originally going to suggest you take advantage of the 2-3 year "what's going to be next" phase you're in and build a small HOn3 layout just to dabble with the stuff before pitching your JD or N scale PRR stuff. I completely the readiness for "something completely different" - to quote the sage Pythons....

Now I read you're on to a Colorado Midland kick.

Morris Cafky's and Mel McFarland's books are the "standard" references for Colorado Midland.

Also, old issues of Model Railroading (back when Bob S was editing it) often featured articles, photos, and even track plans for CM subjects. Bob even included a Basalt track plan in a book called "Introduction to Model Railroading" or some such... I remember I had it years ago - it had a light blue cover. The CM plan started out as a shelf with just portions of Basalt, was epxanded into the wye at Basalt, and eventually grew into a basement sized layout plan). Sam Posey started with some elements on this plan on his HO CM.

The CM layout I'm most familiar with is Andrew Dodge's new P:48 Midland...
No one makes CM engines in O scale, let alone P:48, so Andrew built them...15 or 16 scratchbuilt O scale brass locomotives is quite a sight...

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1813 on: December 22, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
The CM is actually more than just a sudden infatuation.  I've been into it for years, and although it was standard gauge, in every other way it was much like the Colorado narrow gauge.  In fact, the first layout I built on active duty was an 1890s-era HO freelanced layout based loosely on the Midland (it connected with the Midland at Aspen and then ran south over Taylor Pass to Gunnison).  I had a decent stable of HO Midlland stuff and I may even still have a caboose.

Nn3 excites me less...  My hands aren't what they used to be, so I'm leaning more toward RTR.

It's clearly time for a new thread!  In the meantime, I need to repair the JD to prepare it for the BLI M1s!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4694
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #1814 on: December 22, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
... In the meantime, I need to repair the JD to prepare it for the BLI M1s!

You've got roughly three months!  The clock starts now!  :P
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net