Author Topic: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report  (Read 331678 times)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1615
Re: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report
« Reply #1395 on: January 03, 2014, 01:18:12 PM »
I'm going to miss that little spur to the fuel oil dealer... :(
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #1396 on: January 03, 2014, 01:27:01 PM »

I see what Ed is saying about having the H&BTM run parallel for a bit if for no other reason than to provide for a few more interchange cars.  Not that the H&BTM had much traffic by the 50s...  In fact, having the line active in '56 is a bit of a time machine stretch anyway, but it's OK!

Exactly, I figure you will be interchanging a car or two here and there, and normally a crew would not cut them off on a bridge just for the fact they dont want to walk on it not even in warm weather.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #1397 on: January 03, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »

David, You sir are a track planning guru. Move over John Armstrong (even though John will always have legendary status because of his passing), there is a new sheriff in town. That is Huntington in HCD form period.

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #1398 on: January 03, 2014, 01:43:26 PM »

One nit to pick...  I don't think I can have track joints between sections in the tunnel.  Never mind the Herculean task if ensuring proper alignment even with an access hatch, but joints in tunnels are begging for trouble.  I would ditch the tunnel on the inside curve and re-contour the mountain to place the portal on the backside squarely on the original JD.

Dave, Do you have a subscription to MR Video Plus? On the new Rice Harbor project railroad, David Popp discussed how he used pattern maker's pins for easy alignment of the layout sections. It looks like they are the way to go with sectional layouts. The ones David Popp used are from C&L fine scale item C1191 www.finescale.org.uk David Popp said the UK company calls them baseboard alignment pins.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7025
« Reply #1399 on: January 03, 2014, 01:57:30 PM »
I'm going to miss that little spur to the fuel oil dealer... :(

Sorry, but it was that or the station. I kinda think the station wins out.

But I know what you mean... I worked hard at trying to keep it. And it could stay, it would just have to be a facing siding.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:03:29 PM by David K. Smith »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
« Reply #1400 on: January 03, 2014, 02:09:33 PM »
I have an MR Plus subscription...  Thanks for the heads up!

I like that mod, Dave.  As long as I have the whole passing siding there, a facing-point move shouldn't disrupt too much...although distance from crossover makes the eastbound local have to do some work to get there!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2382
« Reply #1401 on: January 03, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »
Dave, Do you have a subscription to MR Video Plus? On the new Rice Harbor project railroad, David Popp discussed how he used pattern maker's pins for easy alignment of the layout sections. It looks like they are the way to go with sectional layouts. The ones David Popp used are from C&L fine scale item C1191 www.finescale.org.uk David Popp said the UK company calls them baseboard alignment pins.

Direct link: http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=437&product_id=3800
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #1402 on: January 03, 2014, 03:25:15 PM »
And here's the website for the pre-made "Gap Master" 3-4 ties with copper topping.
(scroll down for N scale)

http://www.americantieandtimber.com/4.html

Easy to gorilla glue at joints, and easy to cut at an angle, too.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +172
« Reply #1403 on: January 03, 2014, 04:20:10 PM »
Since you've knocked blending in Unitrak out of the solar system, perhaps you might consider that for section joints...

Jeff

One nit to pick...  I don't think I can have track joints between sections in the tunnel.  Nevermind the Hurculean task if ensuring proper alignment even with an access hatch, but joints in tunnels are begging for trouble.  I would ditch the tunnel on the inside curve and recontour the mountain to place the portal on the backside squarely on the original JD.
[/quote]
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #1404 on: January 03, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
I vote for adding the fuel dealer as a facing point siding; there are already facing point moves in Lewiston (farm dealer right?) and Huntingdon (the interchange) so I would imagine that adding one more isn't as much of a big deal, and besides, if you don't feel like working it just don't put any cars for it in the local
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
« Reply #1405 on: January 03, 2014, 06:35:48 PM »
Yep.  I like the switching interest the fuel dealer would bring.  And I would (if possible) start the interchange track a littler further up the main so the cars wouldn't have to sit on the bridge.

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #1406 on: January 03, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »
Yep.  I like the switching interest the fuel dealer would bring.  And I would (if possible) start the interchange track a littler further up the main so the cars wouldn't have to sit on the bridge.

Yup and since this is not a hanger size layout, its perfect for two locals, on for Lewiston and one for Huntington. They both can originate from the same track in staging.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1407 on: January 03, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »
PM sent Dave.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
« Reply #1408 on: January 03, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »
OBTW, Huntingdon also had a major icing facility just railroad west of the freight depot...

:trollface:

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1409 on: January 03, 2014, 10:59:48 PM »
was looking at Huntington today on google maps...from 3rd street to just past 22nd street, they have their own train layout...a loop of track, some staging tracks, number of industries to switch...  :D