Author Topic: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report  (Read 331836 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
Re: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report
« Reply #1185 on: December 12, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »
I don't have the cash at this time for an outdoor layout, but I have long been interested in the idea.  I say go for it, if it helps appease your need for narrow gauge model railroading.  Especially, if the JD gets to live on or morph into a larger layout.

I have always had a similar problem in that, for many years, I have been interested in the RF&P/SBD (Class 1 railroading) and the ET&WNC (a/k/a Tweetsie) narrow gauge.  I still have a G scale Bachmann ten-wheeler model of ET&WNC #12 over my desk at work.  In fact, here is one of my prized possessions: ET&WNC four-wheel caboose #202, which I modified slightly by removing unrealistic support bars in the running gear, adding "glass," and installing metal wheels and #1 scale body-mounted couplers.  This little baby is almost twenty years old, so ignore the dust

However, if I only switched to modeling narrow gauge railroading, regardless of scale, I know that I would quickly become bored with the lack of action that you see in Class 1 railroading.  So, narrow gauge modeling for me, if there comes a time when I build a layout, would be a supplement to my N scale trains.  Kudos to you for having a wife that supports your hobby and agrees to indoor and outdoor trains.  The garden layout and the JD will give you the best of both worlds.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1615
« Reply #1186 on: December 12, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »
There has to be a way to manufacture the track that lessens the expense.  In my years ago dalliance, the costs of the track was the real limiting factor.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
« Reply #1187 on: December 12, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »
Indeed.  But the good news is that the market is rife with used track that still works.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1615
« Reply #1188 on: December 12, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »
Indeed.  But the good news is that the market is rife with used track that still works.

I guess I never really considered a used market.  Do you mean like at local shows or on eBay or what?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1189 on: December 12, 2013, 02:25:58 PM »
Both.

Switches may not do well as used parts, but I should think brass code 332 rail is pretty hearty.

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1190 on: December 12, 2013, 02:38:53 PM »
Michael, that little layout is perfect for what I have in mind!  I think my iteration would be circling the tomato plants and the hops vines (yes, I grow my own hops for brewing!).

There's always the temptation to run a mine branch all the way around the perimeter of the yard, LOL.

Yes there is. My little sitting deck layout grew four times before it was dismantled. I moved all of my equipment to the back to start an empire but didn't get very far, and now I'm doodling again for another front layout about twice the size of the sitting deck layout, with a little bit of operation in mind. I'll take one solo track around an old oak tree for the lumber company logging work, then back to the main to get the lumber to the mill. There are a couple pretty good large scale forums if you're interested (but you might already know about them too).

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #1191 on: December 12, 2013, 05:06:15 PM »

Try finding parts for all the rolling stock and locos now.  With LGB done, Aristo, Etc.  Getting G Scale replacement parts is an infuriating adventure. 
~ Matt

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2383
« Reply #1192 on: December 12, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
Try finding parts for all the rolling stock and locos now.  With LGB done, Aristo, Etc.  Getting G Scale replacement parts is an infuriating adventure.

Yeah, I had to tell the folks at our local history museum that the G scale overhead loop was inoperable until further notice 'cause of this. The original loop has curves way too small for the Aristo 4-6-2 and it was popping out of the rails on every turn. I was mostly concerned with destroying the wheels/axles and being unable to replace, but the specter of it crashing 8 feet to the floor was also on my mind. :scared:
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2383
« Reply #1193 on: December 12, 2013, 05:24:43 PM »
Both.

Switches may not do well as used parts, but I should think brass code 332 rail is pretty hearty.

Used track? I'd be concerned about UV deterioration of the ties. The better brands might be UV-resistant, but no such animal as UV-proof.

New Aristo track I bought earlier this year (360° of 8-foot curve) was stainless steel, FWIW.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #1194 on: December 12, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »
This thread is definitely going at a tangent!!  :facepalm:

I've been thinking G-scale garden layout also.  Are there any G-scale threads in Layout Engineering?
Regards,
Paul

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1195 on: December 13, 2013, 07:47:16 AM »
This thread is definitely going at a tangent!!  :facepalm:

I've been thinking G-scale garden layout also.  Are there any G-scale threads in Layout Engineering?

There will be soon...after the holidays are over! :)

rswinnerton

• Crew
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
« Reply #1196 on: December 13, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »
Dave,
Email me your address. I have that track together for you.
Russ
Russ.Swinnerton@TheCRHS.org
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8974
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #1197 on: December 17, 2013, 10:06:22 AM »
If you're going to do it, don't fall into cliches. There are so many of them with Colorado narrow gauge stuff, it's insane.

I believe you can pull it off.

Also, don't be a wuss, hand lay. I know you're good at that...   :trollface:

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1198 on: December 22, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »
So as not to "lose the bubble" on my primary modeling focus, here's a shot of train time at Lewistown:

I also took some time to decorate the otherwise blank hallway leading into the layout room.

In addition to adding interest to a blank wall, it sets the tone for entering the layout room.  I'm trying to keep the layout room more like a museum and less like a cluttered basement.  In the first picture the train room is to the left and the wet bar is at your back.

In the second picture I'm standing in the train room shooting out.

The middle two matted pictures at the bottom are proofs from the Great Model Railroads 2014 Paul Dolkos sent me that didn't make the article.  The large steam loco drawing is, of course, a K4.  The little photo is a PRR D16sb 4-4-0 (same class as but not the same road number as PRR 1223 at the Railroad Museum of PA in Strasburg).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:24:13 PM by Dave Vollmer »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8974
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #1199 on: December 22, 2013, 10:43:53 PM »
Like I said elsewhere. All you need is something from here: http://www.lerroproductions.com/paintings

Also, that shot pointed out something you might want to give a whack: weathering the ballast and row. It might help you with your long term code 80 agonizing.