Author Topic: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report  (Read 331504 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5631
Re: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report
« Reply #1605 on: April 19, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »
If you mount the switch under the turnout you can just space it further away to let the spring action work. Guess this wouldn't work for a door layout though.

If you are mounting them right next to the turnout I let the throw wire pivot in the switch like this.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4693
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #1606 on: April 19, 2014, 09:30:57 AM »
Radio Shack 275-0409 Submini SPDT.  I just get them at the local 'Shack.

I'll pick up a couple today and see if they are better.  But your brass wire trick may also work with what I have.  I'll have to try it.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4693
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #1607 on: April 19, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »
If you mount the switch under the turnout you can just space it further away to let the spring action work. Guess this wouldn't work for a door layout though.

If you are mounting them right next to the turnout I let the throw wire pivot in the switch like this.

It won't work with a turnout that has points embedded in a road either.  But I see that the wire linking the throwbar to the slide switch takes up the slack.  I have an idea of how to proceed, thanks.  Now, back to Juniata coverage ...
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #1608 on: April 19, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »
Radio Shack 275-0409 Submini SPDT.  I just get them at the local 'Shack.

This is the same slide switch that I have been using.   Of course, I had to clean out three local Radio Shacks to get the nineteen that I needed.   :facepalm:  I installed them as Chris suggested.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9182
« Reply #1609 on: April 19, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »
No progress today on the JD as we mourn the loss of our family dog of 14 years.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #1610 on: April 19, 2014, 04:25:27 PM »

Howie died?  I'm so sorry.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #1611 on: April 19, 2014, 07:31:53 PM »

Dave, Isn't it amazing how they become part of the family. Even though we don't speak dog and they don't speak English, Just one look into their eyes and it's like you can read their mind. My sympathies on the passing of your family dog. Here is a little poem in remembrance of your four legged friend.

http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3502
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #1612 on: April 19, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
Many condolences Dave. From my family to yours.

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +689
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #1613 on: April 20, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »
My condolences, Dave.  Dogs are a wonderful gift, they love in the truest sense of the word.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #1614 on: April 27, 2014, 05:05:27 PM »
thoughts and prayers continue for you and your family
hoping there are places and experiences of comfort in your days

peace,
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #1615 on: May 15, 2014, 08:51:34 AM »
fwiw

I find each post in this thread well worth the read
gives me insight into the process of building and then planning and processing an expansion
not once, but twice

I hope the thread reached 1000 pages
with whatever the topic and viewpoints that are being shared

sincerely
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1616 on: September 07, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »
So, watching Dave Foxx's progress, it's given me hope that I can expand the Juniata Division without increasing the footprint it occupies in the room.  To wit:

I've been resistant to the idea of cutting into the doors because they tend to ship better intact.  However, I bet I could build some sort of crate that could haul a door that was notched to fit around the existing main HCD for the JD.

Where Dave has Hamlet would be my Enola...primarily relegated to scenicked staging.  The Raeford side for me would probably just be more scenicked running...  The Middle Division has lots of that.  I like that idea a bit more than trying to fit yet another town scene in.  Maybe another stone arch bridge for fun!

So, while this doesn't give me industrial running or under-the-wires urban fun, it does give me a longer mainline run and the possibility of run-through staging while taking up no more room than the current JD does (except adding an additional foot of width on the inside of the L...and there's plenty of room between the layout and the room's door at this point).

I know you guys are probably tired of all of my bellyaching about this, but this particular design has more than the usual hope of coming to fruition primarily because it will fit in the current layout footprint.  That overcomes my primary fear...committing to a space I may not have in the future.

I actually have all the code 55 track on hand to make this work.  Hmm...  Since my table legs are 20" wide, that would argue that the notch should be 16" deep.  I would pull the tracks off the Spruce Creek bridge and bypass the tunnel (which is fine...cleaning track inside a curved tunnel sucks) and straighten the tracks coming out of Lewistown.

This could work.  I need some time, though!  Winter's coming soon (the aspen leaves are already starting to change here) and most weekends for us mean skiing on Saturday and being lazy on Sunday.  All I need now is a door and foam...I have enough track, roadbed, and scenery materials on hand.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1348
« Reply #1617 on: September 07, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »
At risk of giving you a shove, just do it  :).  You have thought it through a long time and I get the sense that you want to try it.  Dave F. showed how quickly you can realize the benefit of expansion, and then the longer enjoyment of bringing it up to the standard of the original JD.   JIMO.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #1618 on: September 07, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »
Interesting thought. For the Raeford area, what about doing a PRR-style full crossover/tower-out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere scene? MG is what I have in mind, but that's a little far west.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1619 on: September 07, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »
Interesting thought. For the Raeford area, what about doing a PRR-style full crossover/tower-out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere scene? MG is what I have in mind, but that's a little far west.

That was my other thought...  Not MG, but something like Jacks or Bellwood.  I would do a pair of real crossovers for the two mains, and maybe have one or both of the staging tracks start there.

I can use another Titchy tower for Jacks if I did that.  So for westbounds, departing staging would represent Enola and then arriving back into staging would represent Altoona and vice versa...although I would scenic the yard to look like Enola.  With some creativity I might even be able to use the diesel shop again.

Overall, though, I would be looking at mostly Pennsylvania wilderness for the other side of the extension.

This, I can do!