Author Topic: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report  (Read 331635 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +518
Re: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report
« Reply #1410 on: January 04, 2014, 12:10:27 AM »
When I heard that Dr.D wanted to change the JD, I was a little worried.....

After seeing the latest version of DKS plan, I'm in love also. Please god make this happen!!
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +166
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #1411 on: January 04, 2014, 01:42:55 AM »
For joints on my modular layout I would put 1/4" x 4" hardwood on each side of the joint, and then would spread some epoxy across the two boards and lay the track down and let it set. The next day I would cut the track to provide a nice perfect joint. I was able to take the SIB to many shows without damage to the track on the joints and I had a total of 10 tracks that crossed the 2 module seams.

I used 2 carriage bolts with wing nuts through steel sleeves epoxied into the end boards to make sure that the layout always mated up at the right position. Worked very well.

I am liking the new addition plans quite a bit and love the operational ability they will present.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9183
« Reply #1412 on: January 04, 2014, 12:46:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions for the module connections!

Now, one interesting challenge is going to be the support.

Starting in 2002, I've only ever used Ebco-brand H-shaped telescoping folding table legs for the JD:

http://www.ebcoproducts.com/legs.html

They're 20" wide...  Not 18"!

I'm going to need another solution.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7025
« Reply #1413 on: January 04, 2014, 12:56:47 PM »
They have lots of other styles, some as narrow as 14". Maybe you could try something different?

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1414 on: January 04, 2014, 01:02:01 PM »
They have lots of other styles, some as narrow as 14". Maybe you could try something different?

I keep mine extended 37"...  As long as I can find one that length.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #1415 on: January 04, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »
Shouldn't be too hard to adjust non-adjustable legs with some plumbing...

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #1416 on: January 04, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »
Shouldn't be too hard to adjust non-adjustable legs with some plumbing...

Depends on the brand of banquet table legs that you use, but 1" electrical conduit worked perfectly to extend the legs on the Virginia Central and the Seaboard Central HCD layouts.

That said, I have a similar problem in that the planned expansion of the Seaboard Central will have a 12 - 15" width where it joins the original HCD.  I'm going to figure out a reliable way to hang that section off of the original HCD.  Since I have fascia installed all of the way around the original section, I think I should probably be able to get away with a cleat or a bolted system to not only secure the new section, but line up accurately, so that the track joints cause no problems.  Maybe you can figure out a way to support the 18" section off of the other two HCDs with cleats or cantilevers.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #1417 on: January 04, 2014, 02:13:23 PM »
Maybe you can figure out a way to support the 18" section off of the other two HCDs with cleats or cantilevers.

Hmmm... I can see some advantages to this. Easier setup for one, since it eliminates four legs to futz with, and it ought to make alignment and joining easier since the supports would pre-align the bridge section vertically. The downside is having to secure the supports in a removable fashion to hollow core doors, where the edges are really the only reliable points of attachment. But I still think it's worth considering.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #1418 on: January 04, 2014, 02:19:01 PM »
The downside is having to secure the supports in a removable fashion to hollow core doors, where the edges are really the only reliable points of attachment. But I still think it's worth considering.

That's easy to solve because of the solid wood frame around the perimeter of the HCD.  Plus, you can glue and screw cleats to that frame and across the face of the door to add more "meat" to the door.  Look close at the picture in my last post, and you will see the ends of four 1" x 4" boards under the HCD into which the table legs were secured.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #1419 on: January 04, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »
That's what I meant when I said "where the edges are really the only reliable points of attachment." It's only an issue from the standpoint that supports must span the full width of the door if they must bear any appreciable weight.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1420 on: January 04, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »
In the meantime I've been browsing for kitbash fodder for Huntingdon Station.

http://www.west2k.com/papix/huntingdon.jpg

Closest thing I've found so far is this, although it's short on doors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-POWER-N-SCALE-BUILDING-KIT-4-STORY-BRICK-OFFICE-BUILDING-/370934612561

Conventional wisdom in HO is to do this with DPM modulars, but they don't make the same window arrangement in N.

The Walthers modulars lack the rounded window tops as well (and seem a bit oversized) but they might be the only other option.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3190
« Reply #1421 on: January 04, 2014, 06:25:42 PM »
interesting that they do two different window styles in the upper level .. this might be a good project for one of those cutters ..

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #1422 on: January 05, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »
The only itch this doesn't scratch for me is my desire to do some sort of urban Pennsy under the wire.  That said, the electrified zone was operationally distinct from the Middle Division, with Enola (ironically) and Harrisburg yards driving a wedge between them.  Therefore if I did make the new extension look like electrified territory, it would make the layout more of a "vignettes" kind of thing with no hope of cohesive operations.

Therefore, in the interest of maintaining some relation to the prototype (i.e., modeling one division alone), I formally request sanctuary from the Railwire proto committee to run my GG1s (and eventually pseudo-FF2) without wires on the Middle Division.

:D

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1630
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #1423 on: January 05, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
The committee on standards and practices will consider your request once you file a form TRW-25A677 in triplicate with supporting documentation.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #1424 on: January 05, 2014, 02:06:04 PM »
Therefore, in the interest of maintaining some relation to the prototype (i.e., modeling one division alone), I formally request sanctuary from the Railwire proto committee to run my GG1s (and eventually pseudo-FF2) without wires on the Middle Division.

Just don't take pics, and you'll be golden.

BTW, that station is going to be a challenge to bash... not sure if anything commercially available will serve the purpose adequately.