Author Topic: PRR Structure Color Question  (Read 2459 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9021
PRR Structure Color Question
« on: February 01, 2008, 07:39:08 PM »
I figure there's enough SPFs around here who can help me out...

I see lots of color photos of PRR structures where they appear to be two-tone gray with red window sashes instead of the more familiar tan/brown/red scheme.  In one book I see a shot of BANKS tower in 1956 where it was freshly painted in what appears quite clearly to be two-tone gray (the rest of the colors look correct, so I doubt it's a film issue).  Yet later there's a photo taken in 1967 of a very weather-beaten BANKS tower in a tan/brown combo.

So, is it a function of film age or did the PRR actually use a two-tone gray from time to time?

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: PRR Structure Color Question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
Dave:

From my faded memories of younger days I remember the tan colors with a reddish brown for the windows on most of the building on the Cumberland Valley line.  Who knows, knowing the PRR maybe they got a good deal on gray paint and used it.  The Standard Railroad of the World wasn't always so standard.
Bob

3rdrail

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
Yes, the PRR had at least three color schemes for wooden buildings. It was more or less up to the Division Superintendent or Regional Manager to decide which to use. One of them was a two tone grey with dark tuscan red trim. PRR painted the Highlandtown freight office in Baltimore using that scheme in 1966.

Paint chips are available to members of the PRRT&HS.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9021
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 08:47:19 PM »
I suspected as much.

My folks were down this weekend for my youngest's third birthday.  Dad and I went through a dozen or more PRR books, pouring over color photos with the same question in mind.  There were enough of the two-tone gray to make me think I should do at least one of my trackside structures in it.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2655
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:11:06 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com