Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 341675 times)

Tobynnn

• Respect: +1
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1365 on: September 02, 2024, 12:23:43 AM »
+1
Hello All,
My name is Tobyn, many of you may know me, I have been lurking here for quite a while and used to work at Nscalesupply in Denver until my school schedule got in the way. I do N, Nn3 and am attempting a bit of TTn3/42 although progress is slow on that front. I usually model a road out-west (currently the SP, SPng and ATSF) but often find myself switching up what exactly I am modeling, although that is thankfully slowing down.
Anyways, looks like there is lots of fun to be had on here,
Thanks
Tobyn

sandypsj

• Respect: +3
« Reply #1366 on: September 07, 2024, 11:17:16 PM »
+2
Hi folks! I've been reading this forum on and off for a while and decided to finally sign up. I have dabbled in model trains of various scales for a while, and am now settled enough to have begun building my first permanent layout, in N scale. It's a totally freelance Midwestern setting, roughly 1950s through early 1980s. A lot of C&NW and predecessor roads, but I'm a fan of anything granger. The benchwork is two banquet/event tables, one 36" by 8', the other 30" by 5', set in an L shape. Using Unitrack and a DCS 52 for power. Trackwork and power is 98% done--just figuring out some sidings--and landscaping is partially done. My partner is an artist and is helping with backdrops and some detail work. I'm definitely not a rivet counter, but am enjoying the scenicing process more than I expected. I've learned a lot from this board! My day job is also train-adjacent--I do strategic planning for the MBTA, the transit system here in Boston--so I find the very different setting of the layout a bit of an escape. Thanks for all of the wisdom shared here.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5247
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #1367 on: September 08, 2024, 12:41:20 AM »
Hi folks! I've been reading this forum on and off for a while and decided to finally sign up. I have dabbled in model trains of various scales for a while, and am now settled enough to have begun building my first permanent layout, in N scale. It's a totally freelance Midwestern setting, roughly 1950s through early 1980s. A lot of C&NW and predecessor roads, but I'm a fan of anything granger. The benchwork is two banquet/event tables, one 36" by 8', the other 30" by 5', set in an L shape. Using Unitrack and a DCS 52 for power. Trackwork and power is 98% done--just figuring out some sidings--and landscaping is partially done. My partner is an artist and is helping with backdrops and some detail work. I'm definitely not a rivet counter, but am enjoying the scenicing process more than I expected. I've learned a lot from this board! My day job is also train-adjacent--I do strategic planning for the MBTA, the transit system here in Boston--so I find the very different setting of the layout a bit of an escape. Thanks for all of the wisdom shared here.

Welcome to the pool of forum's active members Sandypsj. Nice to see another lurker join the conversation. Being a resident of the Boston suburbs myself, I know you have your work cut out for you at MBTA.  :scared:  :)
. . . 42 . . .

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +360
« Reply #1368 on: October 04, 2024, 09:46:50 AM »
+4
OMG … I feel so foolish … how is it that I only discovered the “Introductions” segment just now?!  In another few days, I’ll have been registered on TRW for 3 years, so a brief intro is long overdue. So, in the spirit of ‘better late than never’ …

First off, I’m a Canuck, and I reside in the north-eastern part of the greater Toronto area (Markham, specifically, which also happens to host Rapido’s head office, a mere 15 minute drive from my house).  Despite having a Geology degree from University of Toronto, my 30 year career was in the natural gas distribution business, working in research & development, with a particular focus on running vehicles on natural gas as an alternative fuel to gasoline (that was a ‘big thing’ for a good number of years).  That specialty earned me a one year move to the north-western suburbs of Chicago back in ‘89/‘90 - a wonderful experience that we will never forget.

At this writing, I’m approaching 69 years old, have been retired for 16 years, and have been dabbling with model railroading, off & on, since the maturing of N scale back in the early ‘70’s when I was a young teenager.

I dismantled my third layout 4 years ago … an unwieldly 3-level 4’x8’.  My intentions ever since have been to build an around-the-room shelf layout, but I have yet to make a start.  Instead, my modeling time has been devoted to the workbench.  My first LokSound install (a 58741 in a Kato AC4400) opened up the rabbit hole of drop-ins, hard-wiring, LokProgramming, and all things ESU as I upgraded my entire roster to DCC/sound.

For a while there, I had fun learning how to hand-build turnouts using paper templates.  I then acquired an air brush, and have made a lot of new discoveries, and some good headway, with that aspect of the hobby.  And most recently, I’ve discovered the joy that an array of Evergreen styrene can provide in the form of scratch building.

All this workbench time has more than scratched my N scale itch and, quite honestly, I have not missed having a full layout in the least.  Experimentation, discovery, subjecting ideas to trial-&-error, and exploring outcomes on two nested test ovals of Unitrack, have been thoroughly enticing, fulfilling and rewarding. 

But I have again been contemplating making a start on that shelf layout, and the winter of 2024/25 might see that get underway.  I’ve long been enamoured with Ed K’s “dead season” modelling, so I’m planning on bringing that vibe to my next endeavour. 

« Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 09:48:43 AM by Dwight in Toronto »