Author Topic: unit train suggestions  (Read 1421 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +598
Re: unit train suggestions
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2024, 05:40:11 PM »
I recently did a bit of research in breaking down the paint schemes of the H11A-H11E. I’d love the see a runner pack with multiple classes and schemes.

400 H-11A Steam Scheme
2,600 H-11A Hamburger
9,200 H-11B Hamburger
4,700 H-11C Hamburger
100 H-11C Unpainted COR-TEN/Hamburger
200 H-11D Unpainted COR-TEN/Hamburger
700 H-11D Hamburger
1,000 H-11D Simplified N&W
2,000 H-11D NW High Number Placement
1,269 H-11E NW Low Number Placement

I assume some of those figures (HA "Steam scheme", HD "simplified") are guesses.  :D

Cool.  8) There were two variations (that I know of) on the "transitional" scheme (from "normal" hamburger scheme to the 1971 "NW" scheme")
1) Hamburger scheme but without the NOR FOLK AND WEST ERN spelled out above the "N & W" I have photos of 118160, 118329, & 118354 in this scheme.
2) same as 1. but no hamburger herald on the left side panel (a photo of 118448 in this scheme is in the N&W Color Guide to Freight And Passenger Equipment book).

I am trying to understand this:
2,000 H-11D NW High Number Placement
1,269 H-11E NW Low Number Placement

Here's a H11D: https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=25240

I can't find an online pic of an H11E at the moment, but I have pix of H11E class and the number placement doesn't look all that different to me - can you explain what you mean by High and Low placement?

Here is some class info:

Mark
« Last Edit: October 25, 2024, 05:44:27 PM by Mark5 »

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2024, 05:49:32 PM »
+2
I was going to do this until you said we did someting wrong.  LOL ...love it.  I'll send it up.  thanks

Say no, Joe. Too many other cars from other manufacturers have been offered in NW or NS coal schemes. Love the idea of the rock train hoppers, and maybe private owner instead of offered for a railroad?

How about a set of weathered hoppers in AEX salt service. They run all over and have amazing weathering effects.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Peter Pfotenhauer

JoeD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1171
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2024, 06:04:17 PM »
+1
Say no, Joe. Too many other cars from other manufacturers have been offered in NW or NS coal schemes. Love the idea of the rock train hoppers, and maybe private owner instead of offered for a railroad?

How about a set of weathered hoppers in AEX salt service. They run all over and have amazing weathering effects.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

oooohhhh   ahhhhhhhh   oooohhhh.  ;)   love the salt service cars.
in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2024, 06:32:38 PM »
+1
Maybe a runner pack of those nice PS-2 covered hoppers in the attractive MStL  “Serving the Cement Industry” scheme

Tom L
Wellington CO

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2024, 06:46:51 PM »
Say no, Joe. Too many other cars from other manufacturers have been offered in NW or NS coal schemes.

Examples? (limit this to accurate bodies).

Mark

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +293
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 11:19:43 AM »
we have a four pack of CRTN sugar beet cars in our 108 series coming out in November with sugar beet loads.  I wish we had a 4 bay to add to the mix.
Joe

Thank you Joe.  The CTRN/CNW 4-pack is on my must purchase list!  I am hoping the sugar beet loads will be offered separately at some point in time, and those loads can be modified to fit the quad hoppers from Trainworx and Tangent. 

Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +1032
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 01:17:04 PM »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Ooo I've never seen a UP Hopper with "UNION PACIFIC" in the Mo-Pac Merger Font!!.. That could justify a regular release too..

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +129
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 03:52:49 PM »
+1
I assume some of those figures (HA "Steam scheme", HD "simplified") are guesses.  :D

Cool.  8) There were two variations (that I know of) on the "transitional" scheme (from "normal" hamburger scheme to the 1971 "NW" scheme")
1) Hamburger scheme but without the NOR FOLK AND WEST ERN spelled out above the "N & W" I have photos of 118160, 118329, & 118354 in this scheme.
2) same as 1. but no hamburger herald on the left side panel (a photo of 118448 in this scheme is in the N&W Color Guide to Freight And Passenger Equipment book).

I am trying to understand this:
Here's a H11D: https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=25240

I can't find an online pic of an H11E at the moment, but I have pix of H11E class and the number placement doesn't look all that different to me - can you explain what you mean by High and Low placement?

Here is some class info:

Mark

The I noticed on the H11D that the numbers start on the 4th rivet down while the H11E's start slightly below. (Rivet counting I know!)
The other difference is that he H11D's numbers still retain the Hamburger style font, while the H11E's are in the style used on the H12. You can really see the difference when comparing the style of the 1: https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=86705

However looking through my N&W books I've noticed a shot of an H11E with the Hamburger style numbers, so I assume N&W changed over somewhere during production.
120201 was in Hamburger style, while 120405 and 134037 were in H12 style
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:19:51 PM by High Hood »

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 04:22:24 PM »
The I noticed on the H11D that the numbers start on the 4th rivet down while the H11E's start slightly below. (Rivet counting I know!)
The other difference is that he H11D's numbers still retain the Hamburger style font, while the H11E's are in the style used on the H12. You can really see the difference when comparing the style of the 1: https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=86705

However looking through my N&W books I've noticed a shot of an H11E with the Hamburger style numbers, so I assume N&W changed over somewhere during production.
120201 was in Hamburger style, while 120405 and 134037 were in H12 style

Good eye! I appreciate it - I bet sometimes they used whatever stencil they could find on certain shifts.  :D

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 04:24:44 PM »
+1
Examples? (limit this to accurate bodies).

Mark

Hmm, I have some other track side shots. Most salt service cars are older ACF or PS 4750s bought used because the salt service eats them alive pretty quickly. I'll see what I can find on my phone. MT might only have the right ACF body for these. I'm not sure any of their 4447s were in the salt trade. NAHX also runs salt service cars.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:26:52 PM by basementcalling »
Peter Pfotenhauer

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +635
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 05:01:29 PM »
Another view of Copper Concentrate Hoppers in unit train for Copper Basin Railway.

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +502
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 09:29:38 PM »

Hey JoeD,

You asked so here goes, unfortunately I do not have any photos. One of your competitors, a few years ago, made, IMHO, a very feeble attempt to produce the GATX tank train. They used too stiff hoses between the cars, I had a friend who had the set and never liked it because the cars derailed way too often.

Now, I know that by using good quality T/C's, made by MT a little heavier than normal, and with very flexible hose attach to one car and on the other car floating/rotating on a pin on the top. MT has the talent to develop an operable "real" looking set up.

Leave the GATX ad off. I know that the SP ran a tank unit train for Chevron between Utah and their Richmond CA. refinery, could have been El Segundo.

Be well !
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

ntex

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #42 on: Yesterday at 10:31:00 PM »
I like my 30 car TankTrain…..runs great on my Unitrack with the hoses coupled up too.