Author Topic: Please Direct Me to Sensor Circuits  (Read 562 times)

Bangorboy

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
Please Direct Me to Sensor Circuits
« on: May 30, 2024, 08:08:54 PM »
I have a hidden staging yard with three routes.  Each is divided in the middle, consisting of two storage blocks each. All trains enter from the right and exit from the left end.  I want to automate trains running into storage, with the first train stopping at the end of the left block, and if the left block is occupied, the second train stopping at the end of the right block until the left block is cleared.
I have block occupancy set up on BDL168s and all works well with trains displayed on JMRI.  This requires visual observation to control where trains stop. 

I'm thinking of using IR detectors across the departure end of each staging block, and somehow feeding the signal to JMRI via the inputs of a DS64 which are not involved in the turnout functions of the DS64. 
Does anyone have access to a circuit to make this connection?  Advice on what brand/model of IR detector to use?  Caveats on why this isn't a good way to stop the trains in the right place?
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR
N Scaling in South Okaloosa

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +205
Re: Please Direct Me to Sensor Circuits
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 08:18:00 PM »
+1
Given any though to using a "Ring" or similar type camera and a small TV monitor so you can see what is actually going on in your staging area and controlling and parking the trains as if the area was in plain sight?

Bangorboy

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2024, 09:15:27 PM »
Yes, but
I'm planning to automate some through trains while I'm running some locals manually.  I need to be able to have the automated trains run into staging and stop at the appropriate place automatically.
Thanks for the reply.  I may have to fall back to that method.  I have a couple of old cell phones I could use with Alfred Camera apps to view the trains via my WiFi LAN if necessary.
Bill B
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR
N Scaling in South Okaloosa

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3017
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 07:01:35 AM »
+1
There are some IR sensor modules that work with Arduino components

Take a look at this video.  He does pretty much what you want to I believe

/>

This is just one way … you could also possibly use these or modules with ds64s.   But I haven’t tried it
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 07:04:23 AM by John »

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +453
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2024, 02:46:40 PM »
Make a roughly 1ft long or additional detection section at the exit end of each staging block, and do what you do with the BDL168s.  System tells the trains to stop when they enter those sections, unless they have clearance to proceed.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1361
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2024, 02:05:46 AM »
If Circuitron is still in business they may have just what you want.
N Kalanaga
Be well

GGNInNScale

• Crew
  • GGNinNScale
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2024, 04:07:51 PM »
Yes, but
I'm planning to automate some through trains while I'm running some locals manually.  I need to be able to have the automated trains run into staging and stop at the appropriate place automatically.
Thanks for the reply.  I may have to fall back to that method.  I have a couple of old cell phones I could use with Alfred Camera apps to view the trains via my WiFi LAN if necessary.
Bill B
Hi  I have used Azatrax IR stuff for several years.  John has a lot of different sensor sets.  There are stand-alone circuits, and shield-type circuits that stack onto Arduino platforms.  I like the HEXDETECT and the 4-channel shields (I stack 4 shields on top of a single UNO).   This gives a lot of sensing points and signal processing options.  I have started a set of low-light cameras with TFT displays to watch the trains inside the mountains.  I put strings of LEDs inside of the mountains in case I need more light...