Author Topic: Atlas GP-7/9 announcement  (Read 3840 times)

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2178
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Atlas GP-7/9 announcement
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2024, 07:08:33 PM »
I've got one.   The trucks are the same as the old ones, they even have the pickup ears still there.  They just have wires soldered deep inside. 

Said it once, I'll say it again.   It's not just lack of wires, it's cross-level equalization and the springing force of the wipers to torque the truck down on one side if it is off-level, even by .005.  Atlas trucks are physically nice and loose on the cross-level, but you'll never get four+ points of equal contact without some kind of springing in there.   I really haven't tested mine that much yet on the "Winslow Curve" that has been the plague of every locomotive I own without wipers on it.  It may be OK, but we're still talking theory. 

The most outstanding case of this I've ever seen is the Kato 11-103 chassis vs. the new 11-108 four wheel chassis, same footprint.   The 11-103 was used under my Trackmobile, and I had to add a dummy 'scale test car'  with 4-wheel pickup because the darn thing constantly stalled.  The 11-108 has an equalized lever built it, and it's able to keep 'four on the floor' 100% of the time, just flawless.  Same thing with the Kato 11-105 trucks, you can watch those wheels step though a turnout, bounce up and down in the truck, and the wipers keep the other side in contact.