Author Topic: New Bracket Mast Signal from Showcase Miniatures  (Read 656 times)

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +628
New Bracket Mast Signal from Showcase Miniatures
« on: February 01, 2024, 11:22:36 PM »
+5
Showcase Miniatures just released the B&O bracket kit in N scale. As a New York Central, Nickel Plate Road, and some early Conrail modeler, it makes me extremely happy that they’re doing this, as this mast can be kitbashed into those roads and many others. Dare I say, this kit is probably cheaper than the scratch built one I did last year for my Hiles Tower layout.

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +235
Re: New Bracket Mast Signal from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 11:40:21 PM »
+4
They're doing a B&O signal head as well:

I am a huge Showcase Miniatures fan. A real boon for us N scalers.
NSMR #1975, RMR #4

CRR Chase

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 07:37:57 AM »
nice!!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 08:30:47 AM »
Fantastic! The platform structure is either identical or damn close to N&W platforms, so this makes me very happy! :D

https://railroadsignals.us/signals/nwcpl/g302.JPG

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +591
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 07:27:43 PM »
FWIW, the B&O signal head is really a Pennsy position-light signal head with the center light removed, rather than a true B&O color-position light head.  The real B&O head is smaller and will be only 1/4" across the face in N scale.

That said, as I travel the Northeast Corridor these days, I am seeing all of those old Pennsy signal heads that were lines of 3 amber lights back in the 1960s have now been converted to color-position signals by just removing the center bulb and putting colored lenses in the outside ring of bulbs.

So, this model is probably pretty good for the current situation on the Northeast Corridor.  But, it is obviously oversized for the signals in my era for the B&O Pittsburgh Division.

The model production technology looks good, and I am hoping they will get around to a true B&O shape some time in the future. 

The big issue is going to be getting this model wired for light operation.  That is a DIY project with 0402 LEDs by getting a whole lot of wires into a 0.048" OD tube.  (Which is a bit oversized for the B&O post already - those scale to 0.032" or 0.038" depending on whether they are less than or more than 20 scale feet high.)  IN THEORY, those wires will fit inside the tube.  But, it might be a bit like pushing on a rope.  I have thought about using a vacuum attached to the far end to try to suck air through the tube in the direction I want the wires to feed so that it helps pull them in and along the tube.

If somebody builds one of these, please post a review.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +610
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 07:44:34 PM »
Hmmm. You're right.  It's the same etched fret as the PPR signals.  The kit is still worth getting for the other pieces.  It wouldn't be difficult to print my own scale signal head.
Aaron Bearden