Author Topic: Do you fudge the truth?  (Read 8861 times)

TW877

• Crew
  • Respect: +45
Re: Do you fudge the truth?
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2024, 01:54:02 AM »
But it is prototypical

The prototype manufacturer screwed it up. They forgot the clunky 1:1 rapido coupler... :trollface:

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1362
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2024, 01:58:20 AM »
If you really want a prototypical Thomas, you need to either model the British screw-link coupler, OR, do like loco builders do with export locos from the US to UK/Europe.  I've seen quite a few where the buffers have been removed and a beam, with an AAR coupler in the middle, installed in the buffer sockets.  On the model the Rapido coupler would also have to be removed

If the model buffers are removable, that could be done and Thomas could still be returned to his original form.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2024, 10:36:10 AM »
10 years of fudging later, I have lived to tell the tale, lol.  I have almost all the IHB and occasional lease units, plus some EJE, BRC, etc. for variety.  I doubt the Atlas release of the new GP 38-2's actually ran in my time period, but I got them anyway.  I know Gensets did run near the end of that time period.....but I don't like them so I doubt they will ever grace my representation of the IHB.

I also have a new layout, and it is subject to compression and rearrangement of the prototype.  My main yard is now Michigan Ave yard, and the industries of oil, steel, mysterious heavy industry, chemicals, locomotive repair, and so forth all look pretty good to my eye.....they just aren't in the same order as the IHB sees them when leaving that yard.  I have never really cared, figuring almost no one has that luxury.  And, I have run the dead end line to another staging yard so I can have some through trains of sorts coming from the east, which I doubt happened as my track plan dictates.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +296
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2024, 04:35:22 PM »
My NH late-1954 layout has a McGinnis orange/black 40' box. (But it's so pretty I had to keep it). I have been trying to get cars w/paint schemes from before that time, and as I researched I noticed most RRs changed their paint scheme/logo style around the same time: 1955. Not only the NH, but the SP,UP,N&W, MILW, GN, CB&Q, PRR, KCS and others big and small (CGW). I wonder why the mass change over in that year.  Were they painting out their name passenger train signs?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5712
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2024, 09:40:29 AM »
I suspect the changes were part of the image updates afforded by dieselization.  The new method of locomotion brought new colors and even lettering fonts to the table.  Western Maryland's speedlettering was introduced in 1954 just as dieselization was being completed.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net