Author Topic: BLI M1A/b Packaging Anomaly or Am I Off My Rocker?  (Read 745 times)

kornellred

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
BLI M1A/b Packaging Anomaly or Am I Off My Rocker?
« on: October 20, 2023, 05:32:30 PM »
Some few years ago I purchased a Broadway Limited PRR M1A locomotive.  Very impressive.   I tested it for proper operation in DCC mode (not bothering with checking out the DC operation).  Put it back in it's substantial molded plastic carrier and stored it away.
I took it out recently to test it again for the purpose of possibly selling it, and noticed that the Trainphone transmitting antenna on the tender was distorted and the stanchions were bent.  While putting it back in it's carrier, I noticed that the top of the carrier affords no room for the antenna, and I surmised that the packaging was responsible for the damage to the feature.  It misses the goal by a lot, and see no other way of putting the loco and tender back in the plastic case in a way that affords ample room for the antenna to remain undisturbed.  The antenna and stanchions can be straightened out  because the distortion is not that severe.
Has anyone had a similar experience with this kind of incident, or hear of anyone who has?  Thanks in advance of a possible answer.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 07:06:29 PM by GaryHinshaw »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5223
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: BLI M1A/b Packaging Anomaly or Am I Off My Rocker?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 05:40:01 PM »
If the nest does not have enough space for the antenna, how was it packaged from the factory? I assume that when you initially took it out of the box, (right after buying it) the antenna was not damaged.  Or was the antenna a modeler-installed item?
. . . 42 . . .

kornellred

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 06:42:18 PM »
The M1s come fully assembled.  I never thought to look at the antenna or support stanchions at all when I got the model.  That is why I qualified the post with my '"off my rocker" quip.
A Railwire member was selling some PRR stuff a while ago, and one of the items he was selling was a BLI M1a.  He mentioned something about the antenna on the tender needing some help.  If I caused this myself then I am certainly off my rocker!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5223
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 06:53:11 PM »
Going by what you mentioned (no clearance in the model's nest for the antenna), it probably came from the factory with bent stanchions and you didn't notice.

My BLI T1 also has a train antenna on the tender but the foam nest has a cutout to accommodate the antenna.  It sounds like the nest for your model is not black foam but molded hard plastic.  Does it consist of 2 halves? Maybe  the antenna sits between those 2 halves?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 06:55:56 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 09:55:40 PM »
I have a pair of first run BLI M-1's, one A and one B.  I haven't run them in year's since they didn't pull worth crap and you couldn't doublehead them due to the non-functional dummy coupler on the pilot.

Just checked both of them, and the plastic nest they fit in has a hemispherical cut-off over the antenna's to allow clearance.  Sounds like your locomotive placed in the wrong nest by the previous owner.

Tim

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 11:35:38 PM »
I have a pair of first run BLI M-1's, one A and one B.  I haven't run them in year's since they didn't pull worth crap and you couldn't doublehead them due to the non-functional dummy coupler on the pilot.

Keystone Details can help you with that.
https://www.keystonedetails.com/products/n-scale-details/2016/9/3/n-scale-broadway-limited-m1-pilot-knuckle-replacement-4pk

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +163
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 12:23:33 AM »

Just checked both of them, and the plastic nest they fit in has a hemispherical cut-off over the antenna's to allow clearance.  Sounds like your locomotive placed in the wrong nest by the previous owner.

Tim

Very surprised to hear that yours do not pull well.  I have two and both can pull 35 car trains with ease.  They are two of the best pullers on my roster.

kornellred

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 02:19:34 PM »
I took a look at some photographs on eBay of BLI M1a/b locos for sale.  The plastic nest that appears in those photos do not match the one my M1a came to me in.  The one that mine came in is not correct for the M1a or M1b.  That is why the antenna supports are bent.

Mystery solved - but I am still off my rocker.  At age 75 I need to get back on and stay on.

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 06:07:01 PM »
Very surprised to hear that yours do not pull well.  I have two and both can pull 35 car trains with ease.  They are two of the best pullers on my roster.

As do mine. My three are also of my best locos.