Author Topic: Anybody here collect Fleischmann N scale?  (Read 695 times)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
Anybody here collect Fleischmann N scale?
« on: July 24, 2023, 04:26:01 PM »
Just curious if anybody has experience with it or where I could go to find those who do.
Thanks I  advance.

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +463
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
Re: Anybody here collect Fleischmann N scale?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 10:42:33 PM »
Just curious if anybody has experience with it or where I could go to find those who do.
Thanks I  advance.
I have a few Fleischmann steamers and some freight and passenger rolling stock.

Quality stuff, but note the recent thread relating to issues with Fleischmann steamers - I've had a similar experience.

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 10:41:14 AM »
Like all N scale there's nothing really exclusive about Fleischmann products vs other manufacturers in the same market. Any collector of European N scale will probably be as equally familiar with Fleischmann as the next, but it really depends on what your questions are. It also really depends on the vintage of your focus; modern Fleischmann products are exclusively N scale, being owned by the same company that produces the Roco brand in HO, and in my experience their products aren't any different from any other modern European N scale products (albeit the quality level is very high).

Outside of Europe they are probably known mostly as making steam locomotives but really they offer every type of product as Bachmann or Kato for example - track, train sets, individual rolling stock. The stuff I have is all modern production Swiss electric locos and rolling stock. All of it is very high quality but then again so is what I have from Brawa, Minitrix, Pico, etc.

I have no experience with any of their older catalog though as I only started collecting current production European N scale a few years ago.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4827
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 03:59:44 PM »
I have a sizable collection of (European prototype) N scale Fleischmann (steam, diesel, electrics,and rolling stock).  Most is  old-school design with large 3-pole motors and coarse tooth gears,  but they do run pretty smooth. Level of molded on detail is also quite impressive. Rolling stock is similar in design to its contemporaries from other manufacturers (Minitirx, Roco, Arnold).  No experience with their track, catenary or signaling.

Their models used to be manufactured in Germany, but several years ago they moved production to Romania (not China). At least the locomotive production.

Wikipedia has an article about them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischmann_%28model_railroads%29
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 04:04:22 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .