Author Topic: Which LokSound decoder for BLI F7?  (Read 484 times)

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
Which LokSound decoder for BLI F7?
« on: July 10, 2023, 10:45:31 AM »
I have a question for you guys that rip out BLI decoders and replace them with ESU.  I am wanting to replace one in an F7 because of the way it runs to see if it smooths out.  Does anybody have a recommendation on which of the currently available LokSound boards to use?

Most of my BLI locos run pretty well but I buy a lot of F units and some of them have a strange behavior.  Some speed steps cause the loco to "surge".  The speed steps at which this happens vary.  Sometimes one will run great at step one and then start surging or oscillating and higher steps.  Another might do it at step 1 and then run smooth on all the rest.

Breaking in doesn't seem to change the behavior.  I've sent some back with varying degrees of success.  Thought I might try a different approach.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +581
Re: Which LokSound decoder for BLI F7?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 11:41:44 AM »
Do you want to put sound in each loco or just the 'A' units and leave the 'B' units silent?
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 12:44:09 PM »
I have sound in all units.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +354
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 03:05:16 PM »
I haven't done it because I have no BLI F-units but looking at Spookshow's picture

I'd say either a LokSound 5 Micro or Nano would fit for sure.  Get the wired versions of either.  The Kato Widebody might work too and you could have a motherboard that stayed in the loco and a removable decoder (for whatever purpose) but that's probably  more work that is necessary.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566