Author Topic: ONR Polar Bear Express (was just the canoe car - now the whole train)  (Read 11538 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1730
Re: ONR Polar Bear Express (was just the canoe car - now the whole train)
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2023, 11:27:50 AM »
Pretty awesome

Thanks Scott.  I'm really stoked about seeing it run this weekend.

Craig

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +648
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2023, 07:24:20 PM »
This train is a work of art, it was awesome seeing it in person today. Well done good sir.
Because why not...

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2023, 06:32:58 AM »
+4
Thank you! 

Here’s a couple of videos from the show.

/>
/>

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +357
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2023, 07:18:41 AM »
Oh man, it is SO good to finally see how this has all come together - exceptional job Craig. 
Wish I could have been there … next time!   

I now know that I need to find a second Atlas GP for my ONR get-up.  I thought you would have been running your F unit at the front of the Polar Bear (?). 

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3557
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2023, 07:45:49 AM »
Thank you! 

Here’s a couple of videos from the show.

Outstanding.

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2023, 11:36:13 AM »
Thanks everyone. @Dwight in Toronto we started out with it but my DCC knowledge is so limited. I haven’t speed matched any of my locos and the FP7 was extremely slow. So we pulled it and someone else law in our group put a couple of their locos on.

A tip for you. The ONR GPs go for a premium. When I was looking for one someone here (probably earlier in this thread) suggested I call Atlas to see if their parts Dept had any spare ONR painted shells. Would t you know it they did. I bought another GP cheap, got the shell from Atlas for whatever. And then ended up selling the shell my loco came with.  So it turned out to be a very economical way to procure an otherwise difficult to find/expensive model.

Craig.

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +357
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2023, 01:07:19 PM »
Hey Craig - I remember your story on how you got the GP.  Admirable perseverance!

The one I have was from a vendor at the Kitchener (Bingeman’s) show back in March.  He had two of them.  Brand new, factory dcc, he was asking $139 but if I remember correctly, he accepted $125 cash.  Pretty good deal, but dcc operation was horrible so I ended up putting in a LokSound decoder (thereby doubling the expenditure). 

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2023, 05:13:16 PM »
Hey Craig - I remember your story on how you got the GP.  Admirable perseverance!

The one I have was from a vendor at the Kitchener (Bingeman’s) show back in March.  He had two of them.  Brand new, factory dcc, he was asking $139 but if I remember correctly, he accepted $125 cash.  Pretty good deal, but dcc operation was horrible so I ended up putting in a LokSound decoder (thereby doubling the expenditure).

That’s a fair price even for a DC unit. I’ve seen the DCC locos sell for $250. Crazy