Author Topic: RDC-1 with ESU Select decoder - Best Sound File To Use?  (Read 570 times)

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
RDC-1 with ESU Select decoder - Best Sound File To Use?
« on: July 07, 2023, 04:50:11 PM »
I’ve got an old Kato RDC-1 that I equipped with an ESU Select direct/micro decoder.  The latter came from a Kato Kobo Custom ES44AC, so it currently still has the Tier 4 GEVO factory sound file on it.

RDC-1’s apparently had two Detroit Diesel 6 cyl model 110 engines in them.  I’ve spent some time searching and browsing ESU’s sound library for Select decoders.  I listened to a number of 6cyl and 12cyl recordings, but I really have no idea what might be a reasonable approximation/substitute. 

I did have one suggestion for file 73812, which is the sound track from a Galloping Goose - it’s an interestingly deep/throaty sound, but maybe too ‘automotive’ for an RDC?   

Drawing a blank here, so wanted to check in with TRW folks.  Any suggestions?

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1029
Re: RDC-1 with ESU Select decoder - Best Sound File To Use?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 05:54:11 PM »
Rapido sells sound-equipped RDCs in HO.  They might have a suggestion.
You may not get anywhere, but it won't hurt to ask.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +527
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 07:28:30 PM »
I seem to recall a German diesel hydraulic DB class 36 sound file was close for an RDC.  Can’t remember if this was only available for V4 Loksound decoders though.
Steve

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +527
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 07:34:11 PM »
SBS has a couple of RDC sound files but they are V4.
Anyhow here is the link, it might be helpful
http://www.sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstipstricks/esuloksoundcustomsoundfiles.html
Steve

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 08:04:49 PM »
V4 sound projects can be used on V5 decoders. I believe LokProgrammer does the conversion automatically.
. . . 42 . . .

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 09:03:29 PM »
V4 sound projects can be used on V5 decoders. I believe LokProgrammer does the conversion automatically.

Unfortunately, the decoder in question is a LokSound Select, and I don’t think V4 sound files are compatible with it.  So, the selection is pretty much confined to ESU’s ‘Select’ menu, and I was hoping that someone might have already identified a “next best fit” from amongst those offerings. 

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 09:04:42 PM »
ESU has an RDC file for V5 decoders. That obviously doesn't help here because the Select is a version of the V4. The SBS one is probably the best option.

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 09:38:46 PM »
ESU has an RDC file for V5 decoders. That obviously doesn't help here because the Select is a version of the V4. The SBS one is probably the best option.

I’ve been told that V4 files are not compatible with Select decoders, but I guess I’ll have to give it a shot (beggars can’t be, well, ya’ know). 

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 09:52:30 PM »
I’ve been told that V4 files are not compatible with Select decoders, but I guess I’ll have to give it a shot (beggars can’t be, well, ya’ know). 

That might be correct, it’s been a while since I dealt with any of these. But you can try it and report back if it works or not.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +354
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 10:50:22 PM »

They are not. Select files for Select decoders, V4 files for V4 decoders and never the twain shall meet.  Unfortunately.

Edit: I forgot the real kicker - only ESU can create Select files.  They take V4 files and do some special processing which the LokProgrammer software can't do.  Only V4 and V5 decoders can download user-created sound files.

That is true.  The LokProgrammer can convert a V4 (not Select) file to V5, though it does not do any upconverting fo the V4 bitrate to the V5 bitrate.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 12:08:24 AM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 12:18:53 AM »
The LokProgrammer can convert a V4 (not Select) file to V5, though it does not do any upconverting fo the V4 bitrate to the V5 bitrate.

The way I look at it is that with our N scale tiny speakers with tiny enclosures, the V4 quality of sound will be more than acceptable.
. . . 42 . . .