Author Topic: MTL March 2022 releases have been announced  (Read 2652 times)

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +754
Re: MTL March 2022 releases have been announced
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2022, 08:44:22 PM »
Maybe this month, but there are still lots of good things in there, and personally I appreciate a month off of stuff I have to pickup.
Now that MTL makes N scale sheep ...

... all they need to do is produce a model of a double-deck livestock car.

Those cars coming east around Horseshoe curve could then be routed south over the (New) Northern Central.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8997
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2022, 09:02:00 PM »
I actually have one of those old Pig Palaces lettered for Cross Bros in Philly, which is actually where those are headed.

It was a neat thing and it'd feel very weird to me to see one elsewhere.

But if MTL did those, I'd be sad that they didn't do something more common, but I'd add one to the fleet.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2022, 09:41:53 PM »
A CN flatcar with a Mosquito load seems like a odd choice… Mosquito’s were built in Canada during WWII, but all the same…

Certain it is mosquito airframe reg #RS700.  It was shipped to the now defunct Air Museum of Canada in Calgary in 1965 via rail.  There is a picture of the fuselage on a CN flat car for the move but I have never seen any of the wings on a flat car.  Every photo of the wings from the move show them as one long piece.  It would be very interesting to see a picture of them loaded as MT has them loaded cut and on a flatcar.

It is currently undergoing restoration by the Calgary Mosquito Society.  They have been working on it since 2012 and who knows if they will ever finish enough for even a cosmetic restoration not to mention a flying airframe.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1080
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2022, 10:15:08 PM »
+1
Now that MTL makes N scale sheep ...

... all they need to do is produce a model of a double-deck livestock car.

Those cars coming east around Horseshoe curve could then be routed south over the (New) Northern Central.

The prototype for the MTL car is a NYC car rebuilt from USRA boxcars to an AAR type SC stock car- "SC-  A double-deck stock car that can be converted to a single deck car.  This was normally accomplished by raising the upper deck with chains or pulleys."  Unfortunately, the second level isn't included and there is only one level of sheep.

I don't need any more stock cars, but I hope that MTL makes those cattle and sheep loads available as a separate item one of these days- to fill up the stock cars I already have.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1616
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2022, 11:16:37 PM »
+1
It’s hard to deny that without those sales, we wouldn’t be lucky enough to have new and re-run stuff each and every month, without fail.
Sometimes there’s something you want, sometimes there’s not, but they’re consistently putting stuff in the market.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2022, 12:54:36 AM »
Like Bryan, I'm interested in the BN/CBQ Centerflow, but otherwise not much for me

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2022, 01:42:04 AM »
I like the Big Sky Blue ex-GN boxcar - but what are those strange looking posts where the car doors should be?

Does it come without doors?

Javier

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1424
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2022, 02:09:18 AM »
Chris333:  Nothing wrong with the internet here, it's working fine.  An invalid certificate can be a serious problem, if someone is trying to run a fraudulent website.  Or it could be a browser problem, if it happens on many sites.

Or, in this case, it could simply be that a website's IP address (numeric) translates to two different URLs (the human-readable ones), and the certificate only lists one of them.  That's an easy oversight, and equally easy to fix, by updating the certificate.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1150
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2022, 12:16:12 PM »
I like the Big Sky Blue ex-GN boxcar - but what are those strange looking posts where the car doors should be?
Does it come without doors?
   Javier

Yes it represents a veneer boxcar which often had no doors and used stakes to secure the stacks of plywood veneer.

The ghost-CB&Q/BN Centerflow in the new BNSF Family Tree series looks promising.  I love the ghost cars.
Like Bryan, I'm interested in the BN/CBQ Centerflow, but otherwise not much for me

Unfortunately the CB&Q centerflows were 4600cuft cars (like the Athearn model) but it should still be a nice looking car.

The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +296
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2022, 09:01:44 PM »
There's crossover with the prototype modelers, but the collector base is the primary target.

Huh. Even in the non-RR modelers' world N scale is #2.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +378
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2022, 06:01:50 PM »
I actually have one of those old Pig Palaces lettered for Cross Bros in Philly, which is actually where those are headed.

But where did they originate and what where they hauling at that point?  I somehow doubt it was mutton out of a former NP territory, more likely they would be coming out of Ohio or they're loaded with swine out of another lower Midwest locale.  I am only curious because sheep are a popular livestock in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana but I have no idea about the history of their being shipped by rail. 

In Oregon, you have Pendleton, which means a lot of sheep are not for mutton.   Which begs me to ask, does anyone make freshly sheered sheep in N scale?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1150
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2022, 07:25:40 PM »

But where did they originate and what where they hauling at that point?  I somehow doubt it was mutton out of a former NP territory, more likely they would be coming out of Ohio or they're loaded with swine out of another lower Midwest locale.  I am only curious because sheep are a popular livestock in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana but I have no idea about the history of their being shipped by rail. 

In Oregon, you have Pendleton, which means a lot of sheep are not for mutton.   Which begs me to ask, does anyone make freshly sheered sheep in N scale?

The Cross Bros cars were built later and were taller then the NP cars. AFAIK they hauled cattle for kosher beef and had a "return to ? Stock yard Chicago Il" stencil on the side.
The other Ortner built "steer palace" cars appear to have origins in the midwest.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2022, 11:08:38 AM »
Add another vote that MT releases the cattle and sheep as loads. I've been thinking about how to fill up my stock cars but the sheep I already have are just too big (1 to 1 scale). Bonus if they add the second deck for the sheep!
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

JoeD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1160
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2022, 04:45:51 PM »
+2
Add another

I'm sure we will...

vote that MT releases the cattle and sheep as loads. I've been thinking about how to fill up my stock cars but the sheep I already have are just too big (1 to 1 scale). Bonus if they add the second deck for the sheep!