Author Topic: Nothing In N-Scale From Rapido  (Read 4245 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Nothing In N-Scale From Rapido
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2022, 02:59:16 PM »
+2
I still prefer superbly running Kato, even though the models are devoid of free standing (and usually out of scale) grabs and such. The molded-in details are very well done, and  the overall design of the shell moldings is pretty much flawless. Same goes for the quality of their mechanical parts.

I also prefer Kato's excellent paint jobs, and painted surfaces devoid of any glue stains (from adding the above mentioned details).  No Kato model requires any glue. It is all snap-together construction, which makes them a snap (pun intended) to service or to repaint.  Kato's overall model engineering is miles ahead of any non-Kato model. The Chinese designer engineers just can't seem to compete with Kato designs. Seems like often they are going backwards (especially when it comes to the mechanism design.

I have looked at the "suitcase-size" brake pads on the passenger trucks, and they do seem a bit big in some trucks.  But not by much - the 1:1 ones are fairly sizable too.  If all we have against Kato is the size of brake pads, I can live with that. And not all of them are large - the very visible brake shoes on the Amfleet trucks seem perfectly in-scale.

I admit that Kato is not perfect - there were issues with axle tubes cracking, and their recent truck designs with very fine pitch gears IMO have gone too far (they are very prone to getting dirt stuck in the gears), but overall Kato still rules my world.

. . . 42 . . .

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1182
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2022, 03:20:14 PM »
+2
Going to be totally honest at the end of the day I would rather have less detail and a good running model over a a highly detailed basket case. As a modeller I can always stick on the proper horn or drill in some grabs at a later date.
-Al

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2022, 05:57:10 PM »
+2
Please don’t misunderstand me - in this particular conversation every opinion is valid. I won’t argue with Kato’s well deserved reputation, but my Atlas, Intermountain, and even my Life Like C Liners are excellent and run beautifully. But I’ve done work on all of them for one reason or another I don’t want to find myself ‘yelling at the clouds’ over the perceived shortfalls of one over another. Life is too short and there are plenty of real injustices in this world. Working on models to make them look better, run better, or sound better is supposed to be part of the fun.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +734
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2022, 10:20:34 PM »
Truth. It's the reason why I continue to wish Rapido would do something to write them a four figure check.

They took such good care of Mike in his last year I can't help but root for them every chance I get.

You need to model a western road and write it for the GP20 tank cars and B-100 boxcars, which because of shipping delays will probably arrive the same month.  :)

Very rare these days for a company to do right by an employee like Rapido did with Mike.  That alone earned them more of my money.  I'd even pay them to really do a quality Star Trek spoof.
Peter Pfotenhauer