Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/5/15  (Read 10285 times)

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
Re: Weekend Update 4/5/15
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2015, 10:02:57 AM »

Dave,  Just wondering why you didn't paint the track? or at least the ties?

When I think of the RGS this is what comes to mind.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9161
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2015, 10:39:28 AM »
Actually, I did paint some of the track...  But it turned out to be a huge butt-pain.  Polishing the railhead with a giant Scothcbrite pad after painting was just taking too much time and effort, driving the fun meter below the fun threshold.

I have almost as much literature on the RGS in my bookcase as I do for Pennsy, and sure...light iron, stub switches, untreated ties, and dirt ballast all scream proper RGS.  That said, I did this all on the cheap (as cheap as G can be, anyway) with a mostly secondhand stock of code 332 track from our own Russ Swinnerton.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5097
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »
Actually, I did paint some of the track...  But it turned out to be a huge butt-pain.  Polishing the railhead with a giant Scothcbrite pad after painting was just taking too much time and effort, driving the fun meter below the fun threshold.

If you clean the track right after the paint dries, it comes off the railhead very easily. )On large size track like that you could even use a rag moistened with lacquer thinner (wear gloves).  :)  And if the trains are battery powered then don't clean the track at all - let the paint wear off naturally.
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9161
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »
If you clean the track right after the paint dries, it comes off the railhead very easily. )On large size track like that you could even use a rag moistened with lacquer thinner (wear gloves).  :)  And if the trains are battery powered then don't clean the track at all - let the paint wear off naturally.

Yeah, I tried that...  It was very sunny so within minutes the paint was baked on.  Seriously, it was maybe less than two minutes before it was completely bonded to the railhead.  Since half the layout was in decent shape I tried simply lifting the connected track, placing a drop cloth underneath, and spraying.  Like I said, the paint baked on almost instantly and was a b!tch to clean off.

Look, it's there, it's ballasted, and it meets my requirements now.

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +144
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2015, 03:07:40 PM »
Given time, the brass will develop a nice dark patina that looks very good for a frugal narrow gauge line.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2015, 05:15:50 PM »
Modifying some Athearn thrall high side gondola this is the first attempt I carved off the molded on ladders and will add some etched ones then match the paint. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]