Author Topic: Closed Frog Turnouts  (Read 2220 times)

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
Re: Closed Frog Turnouts
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 01:14:54 AM »
I was not referencing prototype trackwork in any way. Just a closed frog model design like Tru-Scale had in HO with Ready-track. It is a design to do two things - eliminate the rather unsightly gigantic frogs in N scale turnouts and eliminate the open frog where problems often occur with different flange, back-to-back, and check gauge specs.

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1432
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 01:35:14 AM »
Randgust:  There was one just west (map south) of the NP/BN/Amtrak station in Pasco, WA.  It was on the platform track closest to the station, used by all passenger trains and some freights, and served a little used industrial spur.  I was around the station often growing up, and it took a while to get used to looking at it.  It never seemed quite right!  But, in that location, it made perfect sense.
N Kalanaga
Be well

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 07:46:40 AM »
I was not referencing prototype trackwork in any way. Just a closed frog model design like Tru-Scale had in HO with Ready-track. It is a design to do two things - eliminate the rather unsightly gigantic frogs in N scale turnouts and eliminate the open frog where problems often occur with different flange, back-to-back, and check gauge specs.

Doug

Yes but the switches do resemble a single sprung frog. I have eliminated unsightly gigantic frogs by going to homemade or fast tracks frogs, I would still be interested in a moveable frog that would resemble a sprung frog. As the other Randy stated they were once very popular and electric railroads used them extensively.

Randy Stahl

Randy