Author Topic: N-Scale of Nevada Gondola  (Read 1856 times)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
N-Scale of Nevada Gondola
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »
All,

I was at my LHS last Friday and noticed (in their consignment pile) that they had a gondola kit in a jewel case that looked like an N-Scale of Nevada item. (type of case, insert, etc.)   I didn't look that closely but I assume it to be this: http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?114586-MRR-inspired-N-Scale-Gondola-List&p=637984#post637984 .   It didn't turn up in a search on Spookshow's site.   Anyone know what the prototype for this car was? (if any)   Anybody have one/are these kits worthwhile?

I'm starting to get my gondola fleet filled out pretty well, but if this is different enough and based on a prototype that is relevant then I think I may go back and make it a purchase.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
    • ShastaRails.com
Re: N-Scale of Nevada Gondola
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
It's most likely that NSN kit. I sent my unbuilt kit to Wiseman a couple three years ago and he has them available:
www.ebay.com/itm/150981339169

For the prototype, I'm not an expert but I believe they match the SP and WCRC gons. I'm not sure if the ExactRail gons are of the same prototype, different, etc. Hopefully someone else knows better.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:18:56 PM »
 :|             I have two of these cars ,which I built. I do not think they were N Scale of Nevada, but the cases the kits came in have been stored away so I can not check. I do remember they were sold as accurate CRC cars and an extra "Chalk Mark" graffiti decal sheet was included. Nate Goodman (Nato).

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »
It's most likely that NSN kit. I sent my unbuilt kit to Wiseman a couple three years ago and he has them available:
www.ebay.com/itm/150981339169

For the prototype, I'm not an expert but I believe they match the SP and WCRC gons. I'm not sure if the ExactRail gons are of the same prototype, different, etc. Hopefully someone else knows better.

Huh, who knew?  Makes me wonder as much as I'm on eBay, how could I miss something like that?  :?  What else have I missed?   :facepalm:   Like I need anything else to be spending money on.

Did Wiseman get the Mi-Jack tooling also?   That would be a nice one to have available.

Well, I guess I'll see what they're asking for the gon kit...probably not a huge priority...I did mentally place it in the neighborhood of the Exactrail gon.   But WCRC or SP both could be plausible.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1964
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:27:46 AM »
Wiseman is saying that the model is based on a Gunderson 3197 CuFt Gondola from the late 80's. It comes with WCRC decals.

And I do have them on my website now  :D

http://www.spookshow.net/freight/nsngond.html

Cheers,
-Mark

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
Huh, who knew?  Makes me wonder as much as I'm on eBay, how could I miss something like that?  :?  What else have I missed?   :facepalm:   Like I need anything else to be spending money on.

Did Wiseman get the Mi-Jack tooling also?   That would be a nice one to have available.

Well, I guess I'll see what they're asking for the gon kit...probably not a huge priority...I did mentally place it in the neighborhood of the Exactrail gon.  But WCRC or SP both could be plausible.

Doug,
He might have the tooling but not from me. I also sent him a Gunderson well car kit. I haven't seen those for sale yet.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »
Wiseman is saying that the model is based on a Gunderson 3197 CuFt Gondola from the late 80's. It comes with WCRC decals.

And I do have them on my website now  :D

http://www.spookshow.net/freight/nsngond.html

Cheers,
-Mark

Mark, if you want a better version of my photo, you can get it here:
http://www.shastarails.com/photos/pv.asp?pid=6577

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 01:08:12 AM »
Thanks everyone for the information.   I went back today and it was still there....$8.  Couldn't pass it up for that price.   :o

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1964
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:23:12 AM »

Mark, if you want a better version of my photo, you can get it here:
http://www.shastarails.com/photos/pv.asp?pid=6577

Thanks Ryan, I actually "borrowed" that from Wiseman's eBay listing (after they apparently got it from you).

Cheers,
-Mark