Author Topic: Another BLMA spine set  (Read 3779 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5648
Re: Another BLMA spine set?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 08:15:48 PM »
and future models as well.

Hmmmmmmmm  ;)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3228
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 08:21:05 PM »

The raised hitches feature a king pin hole that should work with all current trailer models...and future models as well.

so, you are releasing trailers to go with these .. spring? ;)

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 08:34:32 PM »
Excellent ad, and the details on these models really stand out!  Separate piping, hitches, and air hoses look great.  Personally, I'm waiting for the 1970s flat cars...

Frank

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1465
    • Modutrak
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 09:09:11 PM »
Great video.  It shows off the product better than most MR-related advertising. (trainman cartoons just popped in my head!)

Small correction in the video though, these arn't the first RTR spine cars, the ConCor Fuel Foilers and Atlas Frontrunner's preceded them by a couple years. 

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +866
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 09:47:18 PM »
Yep! Those are nice!! :o ;D

Russ

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
Re: Another BLMA spine set
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 03:00:37 PM »
Great cars looking forward to the 70's cars especially!!  8)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1209
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 03:11:40 PM »
Great video.  It shows off the product better than most MR-related advertising. (trainman cartoons just popped in my head!)

Small correction in the video though, these arn't the first RTR spine cars, the ConCor Fuel Foilers and Atlas Frontrunner's preceded them by a couple years. 

If you want to get picky, the term "Spine Car" wasn't registered by TTX until 1990 several years after both of your examples.

Jason

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 04:15:50 PM »

If you want to get picky, the term "Spine Car" wasn't registered by TTX until 1990 several years after both of your examples.

Jason

If you want to get picky, I didn't capitalize or show registered trademark after the term "spine car" which was in use well before TTX registered the term.  Even by Trinity which delivered the first All Purpose spine cars in 1988, no?

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 04:46:23 PM »

Jason

If you want to get picky, I didn't capitalize or show registered trademark after the term "spine car" which was in use well before TTX registered the term.  Even by Trinity which delivered the first All Purpose spine cars in 1988, no?

I don't know, but that would be a better arguement if someone made those cars in N scale.  It would seem unlikely that a company could trademark an expression previously used by a different company within a similar industry .

But full props for being able to tell that Craig wasn't using capital letters when he was talking in the video.  :D

Jason

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 04:58:39 PM »

But full props for being able to tell that Craig wasn't using capital letters when he was talking in the video.  :D

Jason

You're my favorite party crasher, Jason.   :)

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 05:23:39 PM »
Even by Trinity which delivered the first All Purpose spine cars in 1988, no?

Si senor. 
~ Matt

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »

Jason

You're my favorite party crasher, Jason.   :)

Well then you'll love this, that's not the answer.  ;)

As to the topic, I went through my copy of "Piggybacks and Containers" and FWIW there is no mention of either the Fuel Foilers or the front runners getting the name "Spine Car" even though their construction is certainly along the same lines.  But my copy doesn't have the updated info. Maybe there is something in there about the Trinity cars you mentioned.

Jason

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 07:34:53 PM »
Early on, neither were commonly referred to as spine cars, at least in the railfan/model railroading world.  I think the term became common once the Impack cars were no longer the only/majority game in town. (aside from the "Fuel Foilers")   So I'd say the Con-Cor FF cars (model released in...86 or 87?) existed before the term became widespread.  Likewise, the Front Runners weren't referred to commonly as spine cars...indeed that would be a very limited spine, perhaps a hobbit?  :P

Weren't logging cars also referred to as "spine cars"?

Back on topic, these are greatness, and I can't wait.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Atlanticflier

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 08:31:59 PM »
Likewise, the Front Runners weren't referred to commonly as spine cars...indeed that would be a very limited spine, perhaps a hobbit?  :P

Lol - that is some good stuff right there.........