Author Topic: Helper Loop?  (Read 1286 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6374
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Helper Loop?
« on: October 30, 2009, 10:22:17 AM »
I've been reading about the construction of the transcon ("Nothing Else Like it in the World" by Stephen Ambrose") so I've been busying myself looking at aerials of the original Central Pacific line through the Sierras.  I visited there back in '89, but I really had no idea what I was looking at, so other than squinting at some trains way up along the ridge at Donner, I didn't see much.

But I came across this interesting feature...
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=39.267497~-120.696949&style=h&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

and this one on the east slope.
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=39.329916~-120.178531&style=h&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

I thought it was neat because we model railroaders are always looking for an excuse to build our ever-necessary loops...

Lee
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:30:13 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1640
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Helper Loop?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 10:35:32 AM »
That's so cool!  I guess there really is a prototype for everything.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:53:06 AM »
i was watching the SP video over the mountain and they showed a train at this location.  went to the aerial photos and first thought it was the original line, but that would have had some serious reverse curve at the west end were the dirt road is.  you should get the video from Pentrex - very cool.

http://www.pentrex.com/donrdvd.html

Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 10:54:59 AM »
My preference would be a road trip... who's driving?! :D

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »
I've been reading about the construction of the transcon ("Nothing Else Like it in the World" by Stephen Ambrose") so I've been busying myself looking at aerials of the original Central Pacific line through the Sierras.  

Lee

Are you enjoying that book? I read the first couple chapters but did not find it that compelling, so never finished it.

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:07:22 PM »
They have one of those on the La Veta Pass route at a place called Fir out here in Colorado.  They pulled out the return loop leg though.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=37.483219~-105.185482&style=a&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Erik

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 01:15:09 AM »
The book isn't bad, comparatively speaking.  My most recent read was a 1952 treatise on the impact of the railroads on the outcome of the Civil War.  Very academic, and generally pretty dull, but ultimately informative about how the industry "grew up" in a hurry during our Great National Crisis.  It also provided some pretty good renderings of some of the personalities that went on to work on the transcon, such as Grenville Dodge.

This is much more entertaining than that work, and it's almost like a sequel to that.  But, while Stephen Ambrose is more engaging than the first author (who made such an impression on me as to be immediately forgotten), he is no David McCulloch.  With Ambrose, you know you're being treated to a scholarly work, chockablock with references and research.  McCulloch makes you feel like your sitting in a dank tavern drinking beer while he's telling you this amazing story.  (Read the Johnstown Flood, or 1776, and you'll see what I mean.)  Maybe the fact that so many historic documentaries bear his voice and cadence that it's easier to read his work by imagining he's reading it to you.

Anyway, I'm up to the bit where they're constructing both lines, the UP racing across the plains, and the CP crawling over the Sierras.

Another thing that's cool to see in the maps is in the vicinity of Promontory, both roads built grades to and through the area, in places well within sight of each other.  I've seen some of the contemporary photos showing this, but to see it on the aerials today paints a more vivid picture.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=41.566985~-112.61791&style=h&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

It's possible that this particular location may just be a re-alignment that occurred some time afterward, but if you follow the ROW to the east or the west, you'll see there's a lot of parallel work.  As I've always said, anything worth doing is worth doing twice!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 01:43:59 AM »
They have one of those on the La Veta Pass route at a place called Fir out here in Colorado.  They pulled out the return loop leg though.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=37.483219~-105.185482&style=a&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Erik

Is the purpose for these to reverse snow plows?

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 12:21:07 PM »

Erik

Is the purpose for these to reverse snow plows?
Yes, That's where they'd turn the snow trains.

Erik

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 01:27:47 PM »
Now that I think of it, it makes more sense to turn the snow equipment than helpers.  I guess I was thinking in terms of the loop that lays between the mains west of Gallitzin on the Pittsburgh line.  There's a lot more call for snow trains in the Sierras, and by their nature, they are best operated in one direction...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School