Author Topic: Free REA truck!  (Read 1103 times)

Freighttrain

• Crew
  • Fine collector of Worthless junk!
  • Respect: 0
Free REA truck!
« on: September 27, 2009, 04:42:42 AM »
A friend told me of this suposedly 1946 Ford REA truck that is up for grabs FREE!It is several hundred miles away but if it is still up for grabs I will go get it.I have a soft spot in my heart for anything rusty and mechanical......and this being a REA truck really got me interested.I will take anything FREE.I don't count pickup cost in the true cost.I consider the pickup cost as money spend on a vacation to get the heck outta town!!!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 04:48:29 AM by Freighttrain »
M35A2-X3
M52
F350-X2
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Ranger STX
Southern MT19
Aircraft Tug Tractor
More scales than Walthers carries!
T,N,TT,HO,S,O27,G,1/8th

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
Re: Free REA truck!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 12:18:43 PM »
A friend told me of this suposedly 1946 Ford REA truck that is up for grabs FREE!It is several hundred miles away but if it is still up for grabs I will go get it.I have a soft spot in my heart for anything rusty and mechanical......and this being a REA truck really got me interested.I will take anything FREE.I don't count pickup cost in the true cost.I consider the pickup cost as money spend on a vacation to get the heck outta town!!!

That is a cool looking truck. Too bad it looks so rough.  I hope you are able to bring her back. 

My own interest in restoring cars was squashed when I was helping my brother restore a Sunbeam Tiger. As we disassembled it, every time we took off a piece we found more rust. It took him ten years to get it done. He did eventually take a 2nd place at a car show with it, but I found the whole rust discovery process demoralizing.

Freighttrain

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:21:37 PM »
Rust?That ain't rusty.....This is rusty....This is my real lost cause restore!!Fenders are rotten and crushed,hood is unsaveable,bumper looks like it was used as a battering ram,Door fell off and rotten,Cab wouldn't make a good dog house if turned over,bed is heavily scaled but so thick I think it is saveable,top was crushed and has more rot than the titantic,engine is locked up from sitting and turbo is filled with sand from sitting 100 yards off the gulf of mexico for a decade plus in Eglin AFB.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:24:47 PM by Freighttrain »
M35A2-X3
M52
F350-X2
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Ranger STX
Southern MT19
Aircraft Tug Tractor
T,N,TT,HO,S,O27,G,1/8th

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 08:04:17 PM »
Rust?That ain't rusty.....This is rusty....This is my real lost cause restore!!Fenders are rotten and crushed,hood is unsaveable,bumper looks like it was used as a battering ram,Door fell off and rotten,Cab wouldn't make a good dog house if turned over,bed is heavily scaled but so thick I think it is saveable,top was crushed and has more rot than the titantic,engine is locked up from sitting and turbo is filled with sand from sitting 100 yards off the gulf of mexico for a decade plus in Eglin AFB.

Strange, I live right near Eglin and have never seen anything like that one before. And why was it in the Gulf?

Then again, why are there boxcars in the same gulf around here???
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

Freighttrain

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 08:35:32 PM »
actually,that pile of bird crap and iron oxide was 100 yards off a bay at the base.It was in a field with a BUNCH of trucks that were destined to be blown up.1950s gas burner deuces,Tractor,wreckers,etc.In all accounts,with the condition,an Amraam would have been the best route for this truck.Put it out of it's misery.But,It is mine now....and I can't let anything die!Must save everything historic.........
M35A2-X3
M52
F350-X2
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Ranger STX
Southern MT19
Aircraft Tug Tractor
T,N,TT,HO,S,O27,G,1/8th

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »
Okay, so it wasn't in the gulf. If you could, would you save one of the boxcars that's in there, one could be a CR box. ??? (I've never actually went to look, but I've heard about sunken boxcars)
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6386
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:06:59 PM »
That's a cool find!  Good look with that.  When it's done, we'll look for it in the Christmas Parade!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net