Author Topic: MT Centerbeam Lumber Loads  (Read 8715 times)

Cory Rothlisberger

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
MT Centerbeam Lumber Loads
« on: October 11, 2024, 09:40:11 AM »
+5
Been working on this on and off for the past couple of weeks. Understandably so, FMD printers aren't perfect for everything N-scale, but they just might be perfect for making lumber loads. I have this beautify cast and painted centerbeam load that I acquired years ago but have no idea from where. So I took to my little Bambu A1 Mini. I was originally going to print these laying flat, but then it occurred to take advantage of the visible layers and stood them vertically. It's a work in progress and I'm still playing with some print settings to try and reduce the radius that is showing around the edges of the loads (playing with the outer wall print speeds), but I'm rather happy with the results so far.

(resin cast load is on the left, 3d printed on the right)

For now, they're printed in grey, painted, then I've both applied a blackish wash and some chalks. I have some tan filament on the way, so we'll see how those look this weekend. Certainly open to any constructive criticism on the print and decoration. Will definitely upload the print files once I get the settings squared away. 

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +698
    • My Home Pages....
Re: MT Centerbeam Lumber Loads
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2024, 11:10:43 AM »
+3

I think they look great.  A filament printer can do a 'lot' of N scale stuff.  More than most people thing.

I don't really notice much of "the radius that is showing around the edges of the loads" that you have painted but maybe print the indentations a little deeper and see if you could sand the side of the stack with a sanding block in just enough to get rid of the radius.

Downside might be that when I file or sand the filament I'm using I can end up with little hairs of it hanging on that are also hard to get rid of.

Sumner
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

RAILCAT

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2024, 05:46:59 PM »
+1
They look splendid.

Is the print file something you may share?

I have about 12 empty racks waiting for a load.

I am hoping in anticipation.

Cory Rothlisberger

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2024, 09:17:43 PM »
+4
Here's the print files/profile on Makerworld. https://makerworld.com/en/models/699263#profileId-628533

Ended up making 4 different loads for some variety. Also added a pocket for a 2x6mm magnet. Picked up some OVERTURE PLA Matte Light Brown which looks pretty good unpainted in my opinion. Give it a brushing of chalk and a shot of dullcote and you're set to go. Would be curious to see how anyone else finishes theirs. Now to tackle some bulkhead flat loads...

Unpainted OVERTURE PLA Matte Light Brown

OVERTURE PLA Matte Light Brown with chalk and dullcote

RAILCAT

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2024, 05:27:36 AM »
+1
Thank you for sharing—1st Lot on the printer.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9108
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2024, 01:21:42 PM »
That's pretty slick!

I think I'll try that out myself.

Cory Rothlisberger

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2024, 03:45:52 PM »
Thank you for sharing—1st Lot on the printer.

Looking forward to seeing your results...