Author Topic: 2024 NSE National N-Scale Convention: Product Info (announcements, updates?)  (Read 6848 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +866
The Instagram teaser image, since it was posted by Kato, is what I was after. No other proof needed. Still can’t quite get my head around the timeline, based on how announcements to actual release typically go, but I am now satisfied. Thanks!

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1030
Kato typically has a much shorter announce-to-ship time than most other N-scale vendors.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +170
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
Kato typically has a much shorter announce-to-ship time than most other N-scale vendors.

Owning your own factory sure has its perks!  :D
Under the streets of Los Angeles

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +500

Yes.  It seems like they don't try to size the production run based on pre-orders like other companies, so they actually announce it when the product is already made.

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
    • Modern Southern Pacific
Looks like Kato finally made the page for the Pacific Surfliner.

Includes info for both the SC-44 and the Surfliner cars.

https://katousa.com/amtrak-pacific-surfliner/

Looks like they are doing the basic set, and 4 car add on set. Super smart doing the Superliner in Phase VI and Surfliner paint.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 06:18:12 PM by EspeeGoldenState »
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +126
Looks like Kato finally made the page for the Pacific Surfliner.

Includes info for both the SC-44 and the Surfliner cars.

https://katousa.com/amtrak-pacific-surfliner/

Looks like they are doing the basic set, and 4 car add on set. Super smart doing the Superliner in Phase VI and Surfliner paint.

Two complete trainsets, very cool.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5641
Is this the first time Kato did DCC?

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1456
    • Modutrak
Question for the Cali peeps, what's necessary to backdate for an Athearn F59 as power?  Just pull the additional standard superliners?  I assume those were added at some date to the original trainset to increase capacity?

Usili

• Respect: +4
+1
Question for the Cali peeps, what's necessary to backdate for an Athearn F59 as power?  Just pull the additional standard superliners?  I assume those were added at some date to the original trainset to increase capacity?
No, you can leave the Superliner Is; those were rebuilds that were paid by the state of California and done at Beech Grove in the late 2000s.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
+1
Is this the first time Kato did DCC?

Kato has ben selling locomotive models with in-house installed decoders for quite some time.  Years ago they were called "Kobo custom", but now they just sell them as Kato with DCC installed.
. . . 42 . . .

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1182

Kato has ben selling locomotive models with in-house installed decoders for quite some time.  Years ago they were called "Kobo custom", but now they just sell them as Kato with DCC installed.

Think the meaning is wondering if this is the first time it seems done in an official capacity from Kato Japan.
The current offerings portray the rather accurate assumption that its an after production process done by Kato US to put decoders in by a contractor/contractors.
-Al

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Think the meaning is wondering if this is the first time it seems done in an official capacity from Kato Japan.
The current offerings portray the rather accurate assumption that its an after production process done by Kato US to put decoders in by a contractor/contractors.

The Kato Big Boy was supposedly DCC-equipped at the factory, but judging by the installation quality, seems that it was done elsewhere, or Japanese have really lost their fastidiousness.  We might never really know.  Not even sure if the Big Boy installs were done in US or in Japan. I suspect it was in US.
. . . 42 . . .

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1182
The Kato Big Boy was supposedly DCC-equipped at the factory, but judging by the installation quality, seems that it was done elsewhere, or Japanese have really lost their fastidiousness.  We might never really know.  Not even sure if the Big Boy installs were done in US or in Japan. I suspect it was in US.

About 2 weeks before those were launched they put an ad out on Instagram if anyone around the Chicago area knew how to install DCC. So assuming there was a few greenhorns in that.
-Al