Author Topic: Budd Dome Sleepers (NP-style) from Lowell Smith  (Read 841 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1030
Budd Dome Sleepers (NP-style) from Lowell Smith
« on: June 11, 2024, 03:18:34 PM »
Lowell Smith (a.k.a. RailSmith) has announced Budd Dome Sleepers in both NP and SP&S schemes:

https://lowellsmith.net/product/railsmith-ncl-dome-sleeper-pair/
https://lowellsmith.net/product/railsmith-sps-dome-sleeper/

George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
Re: Budd Dome Sleepers (NP-style) from Lowell Smith
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 07:06:46 PM »
Wish he'd offer undecs...being I got a foobie project I want some for.

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 07:20:55 PM »
Early on he offered undecs of the 10-6 sleeper (I bought some).   I asked about undecs of newer models (specificallythe blunt-end 10-6) and he didn't say no, but didn't say yes and hasn't done it, and that was a few years ago.  I gathered from his response that undecs actually increased his cost ('cause they have to be packaged differently than decorated models, and windows can't be glued in) and didn't sell particularly well.

I'd love an undec Dome-Sleeper as well, but since I want to paint it for IC there's a good chance he'll eventually offer it decorated that way.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024, 07:41:38 PM »
Webb Rail and Lowell need to pair up and do NP 313.

https://www.webbrail.com/313

Something like what Catalpa Falls Group did with the Catalpa Falls car.
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 07:48:36 PM »
Webb Rail and Lowell need to pair up and do NP 313.

https://www.webbrail.com/313

Something like what Catalpa Falls Group did with the Catalpa Falls car.

which coincidentally is  one of the cars that was leased to the IC (but repainted into orange & brown).
George
NKPH&TS #3628

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 11:20:28 PM »
Early on he offered undecs of the 10-6 sleeper (I bought some).   I asked about undecs of newer models (specificallythe blunt-end 10-6) and he didn't say no, but didn't say yes and hasn't done it, and that was a few years ago.  I gathered from his response that undecs actually increased his cost ('cause they have to be packaged differently than decorated models, and windows can't be glued in) and didn't sell particularly well.

I'd love an undec Dome-Sleeper as well, but since I want to paint it for IC there's a good chance he'll eventually offer it decorated that way.

I think some of the undecs he offered were leftovers from the AFT set or excess Walther's stock. As the only undecs he has offered were cars that they did.

I'm tempted to order one, but being the windows are glued in, not sure how easy it would be to take apart to strip

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1426
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2024, 01:58:10 AM »
With the glued-in windows it's very very difficult to get them out.  I've never succeeded, and suspect that the only way to do it is to break something.  I've asked him several times to tell the factory not to do it, as both Walthers and Kato don't have any problems with lose windows.  So far he hasn't replied, which is odd, because usually he answers emails quickly.

With flat-top cars, it isn't too hard to mask the windows.  Tedious, and very picky, but not difficult.  There's no way I'd try to mask a dome.

On another topic, does anyone know when the SP&S repainted their dome?  It was before Jan 1, 1970, but the NP tended to want everything in their flagship train to be in NP paint, so it couldn't have been too early.
N Kalanaga
Be well

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3596
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024, 10:40:03 AM »
I think some of the undecs he offered were leftovers from the AFT set or excess Walther's stock. As the only undecs he has offered were cars that they did.

I'm tempted to order one, but being the windows are glued in, not sure how easy it would be to take apart to strip

The undecorated sleepers and baggage cars that I've got from Lowell come with the windows not installed; they are wrapped in a nice piece of tissue paper.  All the detail parts are not installed (diaphrams, windows, etc....).  Makes it very easy to paint and letter the car.
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024, 03:13:14 AM »
The undecorated sleepers and baggage cars that I've got from Lowell come with the windows not installed; they are wrapped in a nice piece of tissue paper.  All the detail parts are not installed (diaphrams, windows, etc....).  Makes it very easy to paint and letter the car.

That's how the Walther's undecs I got were too, that's why I'm thinking the undecs were leftovers

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2024, 07:41:56 AM »
That's how the Walther's undecs I got were too, that's why I'm thinking the undecs were leftovers

Whatever the case is, I suspect that Walthers and Lowell use the same factory to produce their respective models.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1426
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2024, 12:48:14 AM »
The NP converted about half of their cars to dome-sleeper-lounges, with the only visible difference being the seating in the dome.  After 1967(?) the NCL had one each of the original and the lounge versions.

Assuming the dome interior can be removed, it would be a simple 3D print job to change. 

Hopefully Lowell will do both versions.
N Kalanaga
Be well