Author Topic: Repairing Digitrax UT 4 or swapping out boards/components  (Read 205 times)

joelm

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Hi all: I've been using Digitrax for many years. Quite a few of my UT4R's are no longer operating reliably on the simplex signal nor are my UT4D's. If they connect at all to the UR 91 or 92 signal(s), they will often loose the signal. They may regain it after being plugged in again, but often do not, or if they do, it's a short-lived condition.

Digitrax no longer offers repair services on the UT4R or UT4D throttles, and my understanding is that is because the specific component that provides the connection (not an electronics guy, so not sure of the terminology here) between the throttle and transmitter that are in these units is no longer available.

It seems to me, with my minimal electronics knowledge that there is probably an available replacement component that does the same thing, that could be swapped out, if someone had the capability to determine the part that is failing and a suitable replacement, and the skill to do the replacements. Essentially, creating a custom system.

So my questions:
1) Is such a swap out/customization possible?
2) Does anyone know if there is someone out there who has done this?
3) Is there anyone out there who can provide the correct materials to do this and a procedure?
4) Anyone doing this for money?

Thanks, Joel

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +298
Re: Repairing Digitrax UT 4 or swapping out boards/components
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 08:49:11 PM »
My friend uses UT4Rs and DT400Rs, he was told to give the throttle a pretty good smack on the back when that symptom occurs.  I'm pretty sure it was someone at Digitrax that told him that.  I think the connection for the radio module gets dirty.  I know there is a ribbon cable in there but I forget how the radio module is connected to it.  This seemingly crude procedure does indeed work on some units.

As far as I know the radio modules are no longer available.  The frequencies used have been re-allocated for other communication devices. 

I would also make sure the batteries are fresh too as a low battery will also produce the same effect.
I don't know of anyone else who will repair these either.  I've already installed new encoders in one of his DT400Rs.