Author Topic: ScaleTrains / FVM GEVO, 70ACe  (Read 1102 times)

samusi01

• Crew
  • Respect: +575
ScaleTrains / FVM GEVO, 70ACe
« on: June 19, 2024, 03:42:33 PM »
+3
Received this missive from Tennessee today:

Thank you for preordering the Fox Valley Models N Scale ES44 GEVO and/or SD70ACe. We apologize for the long delay as we worked through the chassis changes to accommodate DCC & sound as well as the tooling tests. Through these processes, we've learned several key molds are missing and cannot be located. Unfortunately, the cost to redesign and tool these parts again is about 1/3 of what creating all-new locomotives would cost. Therefore, we have decided to discontinue the development and production of the Fox Valley Models N Scale ES44 and SD70ACe.

Since a definitive ES44 and SD70ACe do not exist in N Scale, we have started the process to create all-new tooling for both locomotives in our Rivet Counter line with all of the railroad, road number, and era specific details you've come to expect. New ES44 and SD70ACe features will include front AND rear ditch lights that flash where appropriate, separately controlled LED lighted number boards, and more. The ES44 and SD70ACe are being tooled in hardened steel instead of aluminum. Hardened steel will last for decades to come and the crispness of the details will not deteriorate with prolonged use like aluminum does.

Looks like I'll have to wait for a few more years for accurate FXE GEVOs. Perhaps they'll increase the frequency of their N scale runs, but I am not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 01:48:21 PM by GaryHinshaw »

martin station

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
Re: ScaleTrains / FVM GEVO, 70ACe
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 03:57:32 PM »
Yep, I just got the same email. They did say that when the new Rivet Counter replacements are offically announced that they would send those of us who had placed an order for the FVM locomotives, we would receive a discount code to be able to purchase the new Rivet Counter ones at the same price (if economically feasible). But.... that's a couple of years down the road and who knows how much they will list for then.
Ralph

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +286
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 04:42:10 PM »
I wonder if this applies to the GP60s? They haven't announced any runs, so there's nothing to cancel, but I wonder if they have the complete tooling.

martin station

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 05:27:52 PM »
I wonder if this applies to the GP60s? They haven't announced any runs, so there's nothing to cancel, but I wonder if they have the complete tooling.
I hope not! I always thought the GP60s were some of the best locomotives that FVM did.
Ralph

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2024, 07:21:18 PM »
I hope not! I always thought the GP60s were some of the best locomotives that FVM did.
Ralph

Doesn't matter how good they are if the tooling is aluminium and they're missing parts like the GEVO/ACe apparently is.

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2024, 08:54:59 PM »
+1
This does not bode well for the previously announced (i.e., by FVM) and never released second run of the 1935 Milwaukee Road Hiawatha 4-4-2 and passenger cars.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2024, 11:01:54 PM »
Ralph

I talked with Matt about this at Amherst in January and they are being redesigned to meet Scale Trains standards to include sound.  I explained I was very unhappy with that decision and doubted I would be adding any additional ones to my handful of GP-60 I have now that run like tops. 

I am kind of disappointed in what they are doing with the FVM stuff.  I liked their stuff, it was value priced and ran good.  Now not so much.  Matt said a redesign of the silverside hoppers is being done to bring them into line with the rivet counter line line.  I jokingly said yeah at double the price with more details to collect in my train transport boxes.  Doubt I will be increasing my fleet of those.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1288
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2024, 11:23:17 PM »
They wouldn't be redesigning the models if that wasn't where the market is. The main problem is that the source costs of these models is much, much higher than they were when released. Look at the Atlas GP15 as a great example. Same shell. 50% additional cost.

I also wonder if moving factories has something to do with it. ST's factory may have a certain construction method for model engines and rolling stock that may not match the original tooling.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2024, 11:27:04 PM »
They wouldn't be redesigning the models if that wasn't where the market is. The main problem is that the source costs of these models is much, much higher than they were when released. Look at the Atlas GP15 as a great example. Same shell. 50% additional cost.

I also wonder if moving factories has something to do with it. ST's factory may have a certain construction method for model engines and rolling stock that may not match the original tooling.

You know folks keep saying that and it is an echo chamber on here. In real life people are getting tired of the direction things are going and I think a prime example of this is born out in the recent blow out sale of the C39's that they couldn't sell.

samusi01

• Crew
  • Respect: +575
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2024, 11:31:38 PM »
+1
the recent blow out sale of the C39's that they couldn't sell

I disagree. Those were a relatively niche product, frankly a questionable decision on their part to make versus far more common locomotives that could've done better. Their tier 4s and other products - including, amazingly, multiple runs of those turbines - seem to do well.

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2024, 12:12:52 AM »
I disagree. Those were a relatively niche product, frankly a questionable decision on their part to make versus far more common locomotives that could've done better. Their tier 4s and other products - including, amazingly, multiple runs of those turbines - seem to do well.

This right here. I had zero use for a C39. None were found on a Class 1 mainline after 2008 for what I model. I've

I only own 3 GP60s, simply because that's all Matt did in SP with ditch lights, everything else was earlier.  Ditch light brightness is less than desired, and I have yet to fix that or add the extra details.

Matt started to sell already installed details before the factory shutdown, which was nice. While the 6 pin decoder is nice, people now a days want their options. DC, DCC Ready, Sound Ready or DCC/Sound. While installing sound isnt all that difficult in the FVM stuff, its not just swap and play either. When the line was sold to ST, seems like the intent was to keep the tooling as it was, but upgrade the chassis to be able to use the same motor and electronics that ST currently uses, why would they go backwards?
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2024, 10:45:20 PM »
+2
You know folks keep saying that and it is an echo chamber on here. In real life people are getting tired of the direction things are going and I think a prime example of this is born out in the recent blow out sale of the C39's that they couldn't sell.
Nahh, that's just a poor selling model. I remember after the first run was shipping, they said they weren't going to do a second run for a very long time, if ever. Shane may have even said that on this board, back when they were more active on train forums... or maybe it was related to HO, I can't really remember. The C39's and carbon black cars were just duds in their otherwise stellar lineup.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2024, 09:17:32 AM »
+2

Their keyboards may say one thing, but the sales figures seem to say another.

The reality is that the world has changed. Highly skilled bargain priced labor in China is a thing of the past. For about 25 years we were the beneficiaries of what was, essentially, a negative bubble. But that bubble has burst and it's not coming back.

We were subsidizing our hobby (and lives at large) with labor that was heavily subsidized by the Chinese Communist Party while, at the same time, screaming "make trade fair" and "bring jobs back to the US". Well, those things are both now happening. But this is a side effect.

It's one of the reasons I think we're continuing to see manufacturers making more feature laden models. While the engineering and construction costs are higher, overall, the higher price helps justify and "hide" the rising costs of the basics (like wheels, gears, etc...).

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3220
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2024, 12:00:19 PM »
+2
It’s a good thing I have all the trains I need for my lifetime.