Author Topic: Trucks on MTL mill gon  (Read 1280 times)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
Trucks on MTL mill gon
« on: September 11, 2023, 03:09:58 PM »
+1
Caveats- Like a lot of folks my age, my eyesight isn't what it once was, and I miss details, sometimes, that might jump right out at the rest of you.  Also, I have been collecting N scale spare parts for 45 years, so whether a given pair of trucks in the parts box is current production is unlikely.  But with that said...

Took a close look at the trucks on the new MTL gon today.  Am I imagining things, or did they tool a new truck sideframe for this model?  I compared it with various MTL trucks in my parts box, as well as with pics on Spookshow's site, and to my eye, the closest truck I can find is the prototype AAR DTSP truck (DTSP translates, I think, to "double truss spring plankless") in builders photos of the ATSF Ga-48 gondola that MTL based it's model on.

But, I can't find anything in the MTL ads saying that the truck is new tooling. But to me, it sure looks like it.

@MTLJoe - Did you guys tool a new truck sideframe just for this car?

Also, while on the subject of the gondola- GREAT customer service from MTL. I mention this, since they have a public announcement about it on their website, and those on their mailing list probably received the same email I did. The truck side frames on the first batch of gondolas, that went out in August, were minutely (about .008, according to my cheap caliper) too thick. Anyway, a quick email to Sara brought new truck frames, which arrived within a few days.  I was installing them earlier today, which is what led to me examining them closely.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 05:07:40 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

JoeD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1167
Re: Trucks on MTL mill gon
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 04:34:52 PM »
+1
Caveats- Like a lot of folks my age, my eyesight isn't what it once was, and I miss details, sometimes, that might jump right out at the rest of you.  Also, I have been collecting N scale spare parts for 45 years, so whether a given pair of trucks in the parts box is current production is unlikely.  But with that said...

Took a close look at the trucks on the new MTL gon today.  Am I imagining things, or did they tool a new truck sideframe for this model?  I compared it with various MTL trucks in my parts box, as well as with pics on Spookshow's site, and to my eye, the closest truck I can find is the prototype AAR DTSP truck (DTSP translates, I think, to "double truss spring plankless") in builders photos of the ATSF Ga-48 gondola that MTL based it's model on.

But, I can't find anything in the MTL ads saying that the truck is new tooling. But to me, it sure looks like it.

@MTLJoe - Did you guys tool a new truck sideframe just for this car?

Also, while on the subject of the gondola- GREAT customer service from MTL. I mention this, since they have a public announcement about it on their website, and those on their mailing list probably received the same email I did. The truck side frames on the first batch of gondolas, that went out in August, were minutely (about .008, according to my cheap caliper) too thick. Anyway, a quick email to Sara brought new truck frames, which arrived within a few days.  I was installing them earlier today, which is what led to me examining them closely.

Same old Bettendorf l just narrowed a bit.    Thanks for the compliment ;) 
Cheers

Joe
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 01:33:17 PM by MTLJoe »
in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 05:31:45 PM »
+1
Well, I am surprised.  I guess the other trucks I was looking at were some other MTL version of 70T roller bearing trucks.  The bearings on these look enough like solid (friction) bearings that is what I took them for.  I can see why folks get confused about whether the MTL ride control trucks are models of the 60s era "ASF ride control" or the earlier "ASF A-3 ride control" (which could be either friction or roller).

Anyway, gondola is very nice, and if I can't tell the difference between trucks, I am not going to worry about it.
Tom D.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +592
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 11:26:55 AM »

PSA for anyone that missed this: https://www.micro-trains.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=63

Another reason to love MTL.  8)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 03:32:01 PM »
+1
PSA for anyone that missed this: https://www.micro-trains.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=63

Another reason to love MTL.  8)

Indeed, what a classy outfit!
Otto

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 09:36:15 PM »
Well, I am surprised.  I guess the other trucks I was looking at were some other MTL version of 70T roller bearing trucks.  The bearings on these look enough like solid (friction) bearings that is what I took them for.  I can see why folks get confused about whether the MTL ride control trucks are models of the 60s era "ASF ride control" or the earlier "ASF A-3 ride control" (which could be either friction or roller).

Anyway, gondola is very nice, and if I can't tell the difference between trucks, I am not going to worry about it.

None of the MTL trucks are based on any ASF prototypes regardless of bearing type.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 10:32:15 PM »
Perhaps not, but one is listed by Spookshow-

I can accept that this is incorrect, but that's what I was looking at when I thought MTL had done some sort of ASF truck.

Tom D.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 11:15:27 PM »
On 70-ton roller bearing trucks, MTL originally introduced the Symington Ride Control in the ‘70s on the 40’ boxcar w/o roofwalk and with low brakewheel. They later introduced the Barber S-2-C in the ‘90s I think which they now use as their primary RB truck. The leaf spring truck with RBs was added later when they needed a distinct caboose truck, which received a generator-mounted version when they introduced the bay window caboose model. The 100-ton truck introduced with the Greenville car may be an ASF truck. But none of the MTL 70-ton trucks are ASF.

BLMA tooled the first specific ASF truck frames, which are now offered by Atlas.

The Spookshow photo appears to be the same truck as used on the ESM Conrail G26, which is the Barber S-2-C 70-ton.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 11:28:05 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1150
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 06:37:47 AM »
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2023, 08:17:08 AM »
Interesting. I stand corrected.

As Joe mentioned though, the mill gondola is using Bettendorf friction bearing trucks.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

JoeD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1167
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 03:51:53 PM »
There were a number of different trucks on those cars during their service life. 

Joe

in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1150
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 04:01:54 PM »
+2
Interesting. I stand corrected.

As Joe mentioned though, the mill gondola is using Bettendorf friction bearing trucks.

I'm just happy we live in a golden age for N scale truck options, where we aren't limited to friction or roller bearing and nothing else!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 04:04:07 PM by Missaberoad »
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface: