Author Topic: Will MTL ever get more Gem boxes for resale ?  (Read 1992 times)

JoeD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1167
Re: Will MTL ever get more Gem boxes for resale ?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2023, 02:00:24 PM »
Joe, with all respect, you must have different ones than the one pictured in your link if they fit N scale passenger cars, other than maybe RPOs or shorties, or maybe a baggage car with its couplers off.  The dimensions given on the product for the outer case show it as only 6 1/4 deep. I have several of these, and the drawers themselves only have an ID of 5 1/4".  I've been looking for a cabinet with 7" drawers (an 85' car with couplers and a bit of padding), but have been unsuccessful. If you've found a source, I'd love to know where to get them.

Yep.  I will get a picture posted later.  I just grabbed one off line so folks could see what I was talking about.   back soon :)   
in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

JoeD

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2023, 12:36:56 PM »
+2
Joe, with all respect, you must have different ones than the one pictured in your link if they fit N scale passenger cars, other than maybe RPOs or shorties, or maybe a baggage car with its couplers off.  The dimensions given on the product for the outer case show it as only 6 1/4 deep. I have several of these, and the drawers themselves only have an ID of 5 1/4".  I've been looking for a cabinet with 7" drawers (an 85' car with couplers and a bit of padding), but have been unsuccessful. If you've found a source, I'd love to know where to get them.

Hey, here you go.  I'm sure these can be found on line someplace but you see how well these work.  Much easier to tote to ops.   Hope this helps.

Joe

in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2023, 02:25:58 PM »
Ah, standard hard plastic Akro-Mills chests of little drawers.  I've been using those in my workshop for decades.  Mine are stationary. How do you keep them from sliding open during transport? I never considered using those for model train storage.

. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +766
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2023, 04:20:36 PM »
I've never seen them that deep before!

JoeD

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2023, 04:54:48 PM »
Ah, standard hard plastic Akro-Mills chests of little drawers.  I've been using those in my workshop for decades.  Mine are stationary. How do you keep them from sliding open during transport? I never considered using those for model train storage.

I have a piece of cardboard I cut that I put on the front and use some blue tape to hold it in place.  The drawers are pretty tight anyway. 

Joe

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2023, 04:56:23 PM »
I've never seen them that deep before!

True!  Mine are all about 5.75" deep. The height and width seem the same.
. . . 42 . . .

JoeD

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2023, 05:41:39 PM »
+6

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2023, 06:35:40 PM »
LOL! I love it!
Soon I'll need deeper drawers!   :)
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2023, 01:02:54 PM »
Thanks for the photos, @MTLJoe .

Years ago, when I owned a business, I had parts cabinets in both plastic and metal with deeper drawers- approximately what you show in your photos.

Unfortunately, when I went to the Akro-Mils site, they apparently don't make those anymore- all theirs are 6.375 deep cabinets with drawers that are approximately the same (5.25 or 5.375 ID) as the ones I currently have.
https://akro-mils.com/Products/Types/Portable-Small-Parts-Storage/Plastic-Cabinets

What I have been using for passenger cars and other "long" (in the N scale sense) stuff are a variation of these with dividers adjusted according to length of the cars:
https://akro-mils.com/Products/Types/Portable-Small-Parts-Storage/Portable-Organizers/Storage-Case-05905

Finding a cabinet with an 8" deep drawer appears to be as difficult as finding a current made pick up truck with an 8' bed and 4'2" between the wheelwells. (the extra 2 inches is to the plywood doesn't get wedged in when you are sliding it out). Nowadays, it's hard to get a pickup that seats less than 5, and you are lucky if the bed is 5' long.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2023, 03:00:13 PM »
Another option is to use jewelry display boxes.  Some of my buddies from the NTRAK club use those for storing N scale cars.  The bottoom of the drawers can be lined with felt.

Here is a soft case with trays. https://www.ebay.com/itm/195041331716
And another one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/256052068240
The stackable trays are all the standard size (14¾"L x 8¼"W x 1"D) and can be bought with or without dividers.   They do come in multiple heights. My friends use the ones with no dividers.
You can also buy hard cases and individual trays (but it will require some searching on eBay). 
Here is a hard case. https://www.ebay.com/itm/285447025763

I searched for "stackable jewlery carrying case".
. . . 42 . . .