Author Topic: Source for Atlas/BLMA 70 ton roller bearing trucks?  (Read 659 times)

Ted Thorson

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
Source for Atlas/BLMA 70 ton roller bearing trucks?
« on: September 03, 2023, 01:25:23 AM »
Does anyone know of a supplier that has the Atlas/BLMA 70 ton roller bearing trucks in stock?

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
Re: Source for Atlas/BLMA 70 ton roller bearing trucks?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 02:15:40 AM »
Aren't the ESMC ACF Ride Control trucks the same prototype? And I believe Bryan made them with the lowered bolster.

Ted Thorson

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 02:36:22 AM »
If that is true, that would be great- I'm looking for the lowered bolster feature.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 02:38:34 AM »
+3
Same prototype as the BLMA truck, with the same bolster height.  Available in three colors currently.
https://www.esmc.com/9200/Item9210.html

Available direct or through your favorite hobby pusher.  Both MBK and NSS carry them as a stock item.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 02:41:08 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

GM50 4164

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2023, 09:17:27 AM »
Same prototype as the BLMA truck, with the same bolster height.  Available in three colors currently.
https://www.esmc.com/9200/Item9210.html

Available direct or through your favorite hobby pusher.  Both MBK and NSS carry them as a stock item.

Bryan, are there any plans to offer other styles and tonnage trucks in the future?

Benjamin H

Ted Thorson

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 01:07:32 PM »
The ESMC trucks look great, just ordered 6 pairs.  Thanks guys!

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 01:16:09 PM »
+3
Bryan, are there any plans to offer other styles and tonnage trucks in the future?

Styles, definitely. A new style never tooled in N is coming early next year that will have strong appeal for transition era modelers, and two more will be coming after that. Tonnage, not in the immediate plans but anything is possible.

Basically we tool truck frames as we need them for our models, as it eliminates the bottleneck of having to wait for other manufacturers’ truck frames to arrive for a production. We started with one of the X58 runs and tool a new truck (or mold in new colors) as necessary, and then add them to the product line as individual items.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 01:22:29 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1288
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 01:31:57 PM »
+1
Styles, definitely. A new style never tooled in N is coming early next year that will have strong appeal for transition era modelers, and two more will be coming after that. Tonnage, not in the immediate plans but anything is possible.

Basically we tool truck frames as we need them for our models, as it eliminates the bottleneck of having to wait for other manufacturers’ truck frames to arrive for a production. We started with one of the X58 runs and tool a new truck (or mold in new colors) as necessary, and then add them to the product line as individual items.

We finally getting roller-bearing Bettendorf conversions? My hotboxes aren't going to blind themselves!
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 02:00:56 PM »
+3
We finally getting roller-bearing Bettendorf conversions? My hotboxes aren't going to blind themselves!

Yes. ASF A-3 refitted truck frames.  Tooled to use on the next GSC well car run. They look good too. 😎
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1032
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2023, 02:54:06 PM »
+1
I'd really like to see a common-style solid-bearing 50 ton truck with lowered bolster, similar to the 70 ton style that BLMA/Atlas offers. The only one I know of is the one Atlas uses on their PS-1, and that's not available separately.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2023, 04:16:30 PM »
+1
That’s the Barber S-2A 50-ton truck. Sadly they are not available separately as of yet, but the bright side is that most PS-1 boxcars were delivered with ASF A-3 trucks. So if you have any Atlas PS-1 boxcars, you can swap in BLMA trucks and pull the Barber trucks for other projects.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2023, 04:28:08 PM »
That’s the Barber S-2A 50-ton truck. Sadly they are not available separately as of yet, but the bright side is that most PS-1 boxcars were delivered with ASF A-3 trucks. So if you have any Atlas PS-1 boxcars, you can swap in BLMA trucks and pull the Barber trucks for other projects.
Bryan,
You no doubt have done more research on this than I have, given your company making the similar, later model ASF ride control truck, so hoping you will know...
How much physical difference is there between the ASF A-3 70 ton truck (the one modeled by BLMA/Atlas) and the ASF A-3 50 ton truck (the common truck for boxcars and other 40-50 ton freight cars after WWII)? Is it just the journals being a bit larger (near impossible to see in N scale) or were there other dimensional differences?

Thanks!

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.