Author Topic: Decoder Testing for Digitrax drop in boards?  (Read 330 times)

joelm

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Decoder Testing for Digitrax drop in boards?
« on: September 24, 2023, 09:17:30 PM »
Hi Guys: I have quite a few Intermountain F units (F-3's and FT's) and they all have the Digi Drop in boards. I've had them all a long time and have had a couple of what I think are board failures. Is there a Decoder tester out there that I can use on these or is there a schematic of the boards to see where to hook up wires to the appropriate pads/locations?

Thanks, Joel

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3500

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3219
Re: Decoder Testing for Digitrax drop in boards?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 05:13:37 AM »
Hi Guys: I have quite a few Intermountain F units (F-3's and FT's) and they all have the Digi Drop in boards. I've had them all a long time and have had a couple of what I think are board failures. Is there a Decoder tester out there that I can use on these or is there a schematic of the boards to see where to hook up wires to the appropriate pads/locations?

Thanks, Joel

I use JMRI and a programming track .. try to read all the CVs and reset to factory settings .. also clean all the pickups for the wheels, and the motor contacts .. I've had a couple old decoders loose their mind over long periods of time .. so a refresh on the programming is the first thing I do

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5211
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 09:23:18 AM »
Joel,  which specific decoders are you asking about?
The connections to the drop-in decoders are fairly simple.  You have the track connections at the corners, then the motor connections.  The headlights F0F and F0R pads are usually at the front and rear of the decoder board, and any additional function pads are usually documented in the decoder's installation manual.

The decoder is likely Digitrax DN166I1D (or maybe an older version of that decoder). If you go to the Digitrax website, you will be able to find all the documentation for that decoder.
. . . 42 . . .

joelm

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 01:59:49 PM »
Thanks, guys. That's all helpful.

Peteskie: I have the DN 166I1C -  Thanks. Joel