Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/23/23  (Read 4551 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1730
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/23
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2023, 09:35:58 AM »

Wouldn’t all the fine powdery stuff that’s left over be the adhesive that’s going to hold  it all together? By sitting out the sand are you not removing the “grout”?

Craig.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2023, 04:29:01 PM »
I got quite a bit done on some of my N scale passenger fleet (Southern Pacific "Cascade" in 1950) over the past two days:

-22 roomette sleeper is completed and ready for service.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

-Mail/Baggage shell has been assembled and primed.  Need to add details and diaphragms before painting.

-I converted a Kato baggage car that was factory painted for the "Lark":  painted the roof, underframe, and diaphragms black, swapped out the 4 wheel trucks for heavier 6 wheel trucks, and changed the name on the side of the car from Lark to Cascade using Microscale decals.  The two tone grey paint job doesn't match up with the other Cascade cars the best, but it will work fine.

The train is coming along.  I have a 4-4-2 sleeper to build and I'm looking forward to getting more head end equipment, 10-6 sleepers, diner, and the tail car from Railsmith when they are released.

Which trucks did you use on the Kato baggage?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 05:05:41 PM by cjm413 »

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3475
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2023, 02:45:08 PM »
+7
Just got my new shirt in, no one likes it in my other groups.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

I had my friend redo the design from the first shirt my wife and kids got for me for Fathers day.  It had a steam locomotive on it.  I asked if it could get upgraded to modern power and color matched to CSX.  That's what she came up with

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2023, 02:49:30 PM »
I like the shirt, nice.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2718
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2023, 03:40:05 PM »
+15
Had lots of time to get somework done. 118 in the shade this week, AC blowing ice cold in shop/layout room.

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8974
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2023, 03:43:54 PM »
@chuck geiger , tell me about your road.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2718
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2023, 06:03:55 PM »
+6
Eddie Boy: It's the fun foam. Mine is not as small as the foam Pomperaugrr uses. He orders his, I got mine at Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby.
I don't try to use it as the complete crossing, only up to the sides and sometimes in the middle. The new scene I did I used it in the middle
of the crossing. It is slightly taller than the rails but accepts tacky glue well and you can mash it down and the sand it. Here's a shot of
how it looks trimmed out for another crossing.

https://tinyurl.com/3vrnx52x

It loves plaster, scultpamold and/or DAP patching plaster. That's how I fill in the gaps. I use basswood and trim it to fit fot for the approach deck or
the whole crossing. Sidewalks look stupid using it, go to 20 thousand styrene. Joe Musgroves has a cool video on it and New Haven Rails.

/>
/>I built up the sides with sculptamold and/or DAP. Thats how I wing it. So far way better than plaster or styrene. Next comes painting it with washes and
kids chalks. I bought the Jackson Railcar N Scale grade crossing transfers and have some 3D crossing signals, overhead and single ones to add to it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 06:16:02 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2023, 11:12:17 AM »
mu26aeh:

Love the shirt...my first thought, however, was 'if only it was a steam train...'  :facepalm:
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3475
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2023, 12:36:05 PM »
+2
mu26aeh:

Love the shirt...my first thought, however, was 'if only it was a steam train...'  :facepalm:

I have that one too  :D  This was my Fathers Day gift. 

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8974
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2023, 09:20:47 AM »
Eddie Boy: It's the fun foam. Mine is not as small as the foam Pomperaugrr uses. He orders his, I got mine at Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby.
I don't try to use it as the complete crossing, only up to the sides and sometimes in the middle. The new scene I did I used it in the middle
of the crossing. It is slightly taller than the rails but accepts tacky glue well and you can mash it down and the sand it. Here's a shot of
how it looks trimmed out for another crossing.

https://tinyurl.com/3vrnx52x

It loves plaster, scultpamold and/or DAP patching plaster. That's how I fill in the gaps. I use basswood and trim it to fit fot for the approach deck or
the whole crossing. Sidewalks look stupid using it, go to 20 thousand styrene. Joe Musgroves has a cool video on it and New Haven Rails.

/>
/>I built up the sides with sculptamold and/or DAP. Thats how I wing it. So far way better than plaster or styrene. Next comes painting it with washes and
kids chalks. I bought the Jackson Railcar N Scale grade crossing transfers and have some 3D crossing signals, overhead and single ones to add to it.

Yep. That's what I needed to know. Thanks Chuck! As you've seen, I've been struggling with my road making, and that's quite helpful.

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1198
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2023, 10:04:18 AM »
Chuck is doing a very nice job with the foam roads!