Author Topic: ATSF steam generator tenders  (Read 800 times)

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
  • Respect: +312
ATSF steam generator tenders
« on: June 19, 2023, 04:01:07 PM »
+6
In 1943 the Santa Fe rebuild five 4-6-2 1337 class steam tenders into steam generator cars to run with freight diesel consists in passenger trains.
They were also sometimes used in stationary service....... and were retired in 1967/68.
ATSF N Scale Models 3D prints by Shapeways in the new GRAY and CLEAR resin.
If sufficient interest I will consider adding these (kit consisting of shell, chassis and trucks, unpainted, no couplers, handrails DIY brass wire) to the website.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]  
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

Simon D.

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Re: ATSF steam generator tenders
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 05:15:38 PM »
Definitely interested!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1960
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 09:45:07 PM »
A very nice and useful model, Dirk. With this, one could now pull military MAIN trains and other extra passenger sections behind freight diesels. Put me on your interest list please.
Thank you, fun stuff!
Otto

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1440
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 09:54:27 PM »
@Dirk Jan Blikkendaal  , Dirk, although these specific AT&SF steam generator cars aren't for my 1947 thru 1956 UP layout, they're an excellent idea, and well done.  You need to think about doing your own 3D printing with one of the excellent medium-format (10" LCD) printers that are available nowadays.  They'll do as good of a job, or better than what you get from Shapeways without the long wait, and any problems you might have with your 3D model or your print will be able to be quickly fixed as opposed to waiting weeks.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 03:14:48 AM »
+2
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the advice..... I have indeed been looking into these a long time already but for 3 reasons I keep saying NO.
First: when I order something from Shapeways the usual run time (from my ordering moment till arrival on my doorstep) is between 7 to 10 days. Thats already for a long time with the old SMOOTH and SMOOTHEST but also with the new GRAY and CLEAR. The service has always been fast and I am happy with the printing quality.
Second: adding 3D printing to my list of things I like to do is a bit too much...... I follow quite a few FB/internet lists on 3D printing with the newest/best printers and the number of issues that keep popping up is quite big (frequent print failures, setting problems, wash and cure differences, resin spills, maintenance and quality control, to name a few). Its for sure not a plug and play system. I have been trying to mqke H0 models (Amos and Andy, 2611 and the One spot) with a local 3D professional printing house using a Formlabs Form3 printer (a quality printer as you will know) because H0 models are way to expensive from Shapeways in all four FINE DETAL PLASTICS,  but they never came up with an acceptable print.......
Third: my health is not very good and declining, especially the last few months......... I am 69 right now and have had cancer twice (Hodgkin when I was 22 and Non-Hodgkin when I was 62) and the long term effects of radiation and chemo therapy are kicking in quite heavy. Thats something I have been expecting already a long time (I am very lucky and happy to still be around) but also means I do not know how long I can continue modelrailroading....... But not to worry, I am still enjoying life and the hobby.

Thats another reason to use Shapeways....... even if I have to stop with ATSF N Scale Models at least the 3D prints are still available for those interested.....

One extra piece of info from my experience:
The GRAY and CLEAR are giving a little better results than SMOOTH and CLEAR and are cheaper also. There is only one issue these new resins..... I found out the hard way ...... If walls are thin the models warp easily and thats not correctable. The walls of my latest models (the steam generator tender and the doodle bugs) are between 1,2 and 1,5 mm with lateral stiffeners to help keeping the walls straight. That works fine in GRAY and CLEAR. On my RSD-15 and RSD-7 models the wall thickness goes down to 0,7 mm in places. Works fine in SMOOTH and SMOOTHEST but no good in GRAY and CLEAR.
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

Simon D.

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 03:11:38 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your health issues Dirk, I have been a very satisfied customer, and hope to remain one.  Take best care.

Have you thought about finding a like-minded N Scale enthusiast in the NL who might so some printing for you?  Perhaps via Henk Oversloot, auteur of FS160 - https://www.fs160.eu/index.php or someone like that?  I've never been convinced by Form Labs either I must say.  The newer resin machines are capable of fantastic results. 

Thanks again for what you have done for us Santa Fe fans.

Best wishes

Simon

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 01:51:42 PM »
I've always like the oddball things on a RR. Up at Steamtown in Scranton, PA they have the only J class 4-6-4 tender that was converted to a steam tender.   Glad you made this. Another piece of history modeled.