Author Topic: March MT Weathered Release HAWTNESS  (Read 1514 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +734
Peter Pfotenhauer

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1960
Re: March MT Weathered Release HAWTNESS
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 01:07:55 AM »
M/T has mastered the weathered car art, and  kudos to them. But I'm still struggling to appreciate an NYC stock car model which doesn't look anything like a UP stock car,  no matter how much weathering it gets covered with. I wish I could buy that car in NYC finish, but no such luck...
Ducking for cover now...
Otto K.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 01:17:12 AM by Cajonpassfan »

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3492
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 01:51:40 AM »
After the besting I took last month, I'm glad I can say nothing for me this time

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8997
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 10:26:30 AM »
+1
They really DO an AMAZING job with this stuff.

I love products in N that make HO modelers drool, and every time I show this stuff to them they get insanely jealous.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +734
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 01:17:21 PM »
The BN hopper 3 pack is a work of art.  I don't model New England at all, but the BAR boxcar is pretty snazzy too.
Peter Pfotenhauer

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 02:49:43 PM »
+6
These weathered releases looks so good!

Unfortunately, Micro-Trains continues to infuriate me by making exquisitely weathered cars that are correct for my time and era, but are inaccurate for their tooling  :(

The prototype for two of the three BN cars (48129 and 48170) is an ACF 4600 cuft, whereas the Micro-Trains tooling is an ACF 4650 cuft.

This might seem trivial, but the overall height of 4600 covered hopper is noticeably different, with the 4600s look much lower next to the 4650s.

Athearn makes a lovely model of the 4600, so I don't know why Micro-Trains continues to put so much effort to churn out these foobies for their ACF 4650 tooling.

A thirty-second search on Railcar Photos constrained by 4650 cuft leads immediately to similarly weathered cars that suit their tooling…

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

No doubt they will sell well anyway, as I'm acutely aware that I'm in the single digit percentage of people who care about this  :ashat:

[Crawls back under my rock in my train room]
--
Tim Benson

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1080
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 01:25:34 PM »
M/T has mastered the weathered car art, and  kudos to them. But I'm still struggling to appreciate an NYC stock car model which doesn't look anything like a UP stock car,  no matter how much weathering it gets covered with. I wish I could buy that car in NYC finish, but no such luck...
Ducking for cover now...
Otto K.

II think it would be great if someone with a 3D printer and programming skills came out with a line of kits for stock car bodies in various prototypes that would fit on the MTL underframe. I understand that MTL can't be cutting tooling for a dozen different stock car prototypes, but it would be great to have a way to easily bash together more common roadnames, and common car types like Mather cars, rebuilt fowlers, or the common ARA era cars with fewer diagonals. Granted, as primarily an ATSF modeler, I've been blessed with the IMRC ATSF cars, and one of these days will add some of the later Sk models from ATSFNscalemodels. But it would be nice to have some readily available alternatives to the  NYC USRA rebuild, that for whatever reason is the prototype for both MTL and Atlas cars.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8997
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 08:48:14 PM »
+2
These weathered releases looks so good!

Unfortunately, Micro-Trains continues to infuriate me by making exquisitely weathered cars that are correct for my time and era, but are inaccurate for their tooling  :(

The prototype for two of the three BN cars (48129 and 48170) is an ACF 4600 cuft, whereas the Micro-Trains tooling is an ACF 4650 cuft.

This might seem trivial, but the overall height of 4600 covered hopper is noticeably different, with the 4600s look much lower next to the 4650s.

Athearn makes a lovely model of the 4600, so I don't know why Micro-Trains continues to put so much effort to churn out these foobies for their ACF 4650 tooling.

A thirty-second search on Railcar Photos constrained by 4650 cuft leads immediately to similarly weathered cars that suit their tooling…

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

No doubt they will sell well anyway, as I'm acutely aware that I'm in the single digit percentage of people who care about this  :ashat:

[Crawls back under my rock in my train room]

I struggled with this type of thing myself for a long time. But then @GonzoCRFan told me something like "get over yourself and have fun". So I did. Sometimes you just have to say "f it, this car is cool enough".

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 11:12:46 PM »
Does anyone know the era on BAR boxcar?

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1150
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 06:09:00 PM »
Does anyone know the era on BAR boxcar?

BAR 5800-5999 built by Berwick Forge & Fabricating Jan-March 1972
Seems only the later cars (5900-5999???) wore the RWB scheme.

https://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bar/bar5800akg.jpg
https://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bar/bar5936jpa.jpg
https://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bar/bar5952adk.jpg

Original Paint lasted well into the 1980s possibly to the early 1990s before repaints.

Of course the Micro-trains car is their squished FMC prototype so Rivets are best left uncounted.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface: