Author Topic: Best springy wire  (Read 1982 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9112
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Best springy wire
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 11:22:38 AM »
+1
@Ed Kapuscinski , can you remind us where you posted those mounts?

I don't think I can... because I don't know if I pulled them all together anyway.

I'll work on a blog post all about them.

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 01:03:12 PM »
If you've doing a Caboose-style spring throw, maybe a switch, I've evolved to a 'loop' rather than omega or z-bend, as there is no sharp angle to break in the wire.   I use .015 phosphor brass spring wire.   I used to just link them straight and after I broke two throw bars, tried a Z-bend, broke that, circles are still working.

Nothing against the slide switches, they are superior if you need to power the frog and can get the wires in there.   I find that the Peco springs aren't quite hard enough to make sure the points have electrical contact, and depending on the internal Caboose spring is too stiff and breaks stuff.
Randy,
As I mentioned in the OP, I am using slide switches both for moving the points and powering the frog. I am also using some 3d printed "buttons" - for want of a better term - to hold the slide switch in the plywood. In essence, a round hole is drilled in the plywood the same diameter as the outer dimension of the button, and then the button is inserted in the hole. The button itself has a rectangular hole/depression within the button sized to the external dimensions of the slide switch. The slide switch is then inserted into the hole in the button, so that it is then solidly within the button and the button solidly in the plywood. The piano wire runs from the "thumb" of the slide switch to move the turnout throw bar. Most of the slide switches I am considering have a 2-2.5mm movement of the thumb, while my turnouts have a 1mm throw. Accommodating the difference in the two distances of movement and keeping the points against the rails without breaking anything is the subject of my question. Hope this helps explain.

Kind regards,
Bill

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 05:36:51 PM »
+1

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 07:27:58 PM »
+3
These are fast track turnouts with Keystone Details PRR switch machines and the recommended slide switches to power the frog with PB wire bent into a z to hold the points.

Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1429

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +250
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2022, 09:51:55 AM »
+1
Done: https://conrail1285.com/k-mount-turnout-controls/

I love this Ed thank you.

It's not exactly on topic but I too use piano wire. I have made a system that does this with a smaller slide switch. The switch stand base slides on top of "ties".

p.s. It's obviously not to scale because it needs to slip over the slide switch but it is significantly smaller than the caboose throws.
p.s.s. This is the n scale version beside the Hon30 ties. I need to adjust it for hon30 next.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 09:55:08 AM by timwatson »
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +699
    • My Home Pages....
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2022, 12:25:14 PM »

That's nice.  How are you holding the wire in the switch?  CA?

One thing I like about those SPDT switches is that you can connect 3 connector servo wire to them and if the polarity ends up being wrong you only have to pull the plug off the switch and turn it 180 degrees and you are in business.

Are you putting the print files up for the N scale (or other version)?

Sumner
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +250
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2022, 12:35:45 PM »
+1

That's nice.  How are you holding the wire in the switch?  CA?

One thing I like about those SPDT switches is that you can connect 3 connector servo wire to them and if the polarity ends up being wrong you only have to pull the plug off the switch and turn it 180 degrees and you are in business.

Are you putting the print files up for the N scale (or other version)?

Sumner

The wire has been switched to be a small 90 elbow. Then ca’d into place.
I’m not 100% sure how to distribute my files and see a little money in return. It’s something I’ve researched it and have yet to find an easy yet equitable solution. Some I will prob release on thingiverse for free. This design needs more testing.
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2022, 09:59:10 PM »
I love this Ed thank you.

You're welcome! I hope it's useful.