Author Topic: Potential Dullcote Replacement: Windsor & Newton Matt Varnish  (Read 1488 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +589
Re: Potential Dullcote Replacement: Windsor & Newton Matt Varnish
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2023, 12:13:49 PM »
Has Dullcote officially been killed?

It seems to be readily available at the local Michael's:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1632
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2023, 01:01:09 PM »
It's not dead yet, but given what we've seen from Rustoleum so far, I suspect it may be gone sooner then we think.  Hence @Ed Kapuscinski being proactive and identifying an alternative.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1450
    • Modutrak
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2023, 02:12:08 PM »
+2
I got a feeling I could buy both of these new flats and then come back here and tell you how glossy they are compared to Dullcote.

And that repeated layers build up, where as 83* layers of dullcote isn't noticeable. 

*approx estimation

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5631
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 03:49:37 PM »
I also like how Dullcote is a thick syrup, but it needs no thinning and sprays perfectly.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5139
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 04:40:45 PM »
I also like how Dullcote is a thick syrup, but it needs no thinning and sprays perfectly.

I use the stuff from a bottle (not spray), but I do cut it with lacquer thinner.  But even unthinned, to me  it doesn't seem quite as viscous as a thick syrup.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5631
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 10:31:22 PM »
+1
Oh I was joking, but it does seem thicker than what would be needed to spray.

There is a thing called a gloss meter that can see how much light reflects. I wonder if anyone has really tested these paints? I have a bunch of Dullcote and you can still get it, but it is like $9 bucks a tiny can. Many years ago I had eight 3 packs of Dullcote- all long gone now. I have bought a few full sized cans of products trying to find something just as flat as Dullcote and haven't been happy yet. Even bought the same can twice and after it was still glossy I put it on the shelf right next to the last can I tried. oops  :facepalm: It is like people just don't understand what dead flat is.

Army painters may know a few paints to try.

The rockwork on my scenery gets Dullcote as a last step. Everything I do to get the color just right ends with a shine that drives me nuts. Dullcote fixes that. I also Dullcote static grass (after I drybrush it) because it is very glossy and looks horrible straight from the bag.

And Dullcote must be lacquer (to lazy to look it up) because it dries insanely quick especially with an airbrush, still fast from a can.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:37:38 PM by Chris333 »