Author Topic: Removing MTL lettering one more time  (Read 1140 times)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +272
Removing MTL lettering one more time
« on: December 07, 2021, 06:13:35 AM »
I just do not get what I am doing wrong, but I cannot remove MTL lettering from freight cars. I have spent a small fortune on all the recommended chemicals. Lamp oil - nothing, Naphtha-nothing, alcohol, and on and on. What the heck am I doing wrong? I now have a pretty impressive chemical set but no re-lettered rolling stock.  I can only think I am not allowing enough time or not using enough pressure or the wrong tools.
I have had limited success with scraping using a sharp blade. Some with alcohol, but often affects the base coat.

I know this has been beat to death which is why I haven't asked until now so be gentle on me.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 06:33:08 AM by mecgp7 »

Simon D.

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Re: Removing MTL lettering one more time
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 07:43:40 AM »
A wooden cocktail stick and brass cleaner, used very gently, may work.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1728
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 09:54:20 AM »
Mr. Color Thinner?

(Haven't used it myself tho, so just mentioning FWIW)

Ed

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 10:52:45 AM »
I just do not get what I am doing wrong, but I cannot remove MTL lettering from freight cars. I have spent a small fortune on all the recommended chemicals. Lamp oil - nothing, Naphtha-nothing, alcohol, and on and on. What the heck am I doing wrong? I now have a pretty impressive chemical set but no re-lettered rolling stock.  I can only think I am not allowing enough time or not using enough pressure or the wrong tools.
I have had limited success with scraping using a sharp blade. Some with alcohol, but often affects the base coat.

I know this has been beat to death which is why I haven't asked until now so be gentle on me.

I've had, essentially, the same results. Things that seem to effect the results of any particular method:
a) age of the car- I speculate that the chemistry of the lettering ink (and underlying paint) of a car that is 40 years old is different than the products currently in use. (also true for most model paints- we are now using different brands/formulas)
b) color of the lettering - as with above, I would speculate that white lettering may contain different chemicals than red. 
c) color of the underlying paint- dark lettering on white or yellow paint often leaves a "shadow", caused, I assume, by the dyes in the ink penetrating into the paint surface, that is almost impossible to remove.
d) on "pre-owned" cars, it is not unusual for the previous owner to have given them a shot of flat finish- which renders lettering removal without taking off the paint, even more difficult.

Given all the variables, any given car issued in any given year, requires experimentation to figure out what works on that particular model. 

From the sounds of things, you have tried most of the things I would advise.  I have had success (and failure) with blades (my preferred for this sort of thing is https://excelblades.com/collections/replacement-blades/products/6-micro-stencil-blade - this is the smallest I have found and very sharp).  I've also had success (and failure) using cotton swabs with either Micro-Sol, 91% alcohol or Simple Green cleaner- these take several minutes of scrubbing with a swab- and test before beginning on an inconspicuous area of paint- because sometimes the lettering is more resistant than the paint.  I have also had limited success with an art gum (NOT pencil) eraser.  Used either by itself, or after "softening" the lettering with one of the methods above.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 11:06:02 AM »
+1
Without writing a treatise, I'd say the biggest issue is just time.   I've "given up" on cars and just left the paper towel bits over the lettering and would just apply chemicals when I'd pass by/think about it.   This might go on for days.   Eventually I'll sit back down and do a couple of consecutive applications and try again.  Occasionally it will work.

The comments above are all pretty spot-on as well.   Forget about trying to remove lettering from a silver painted MTL car, for starters.
Doug

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 11:12:38 AM »
+1
While I haven't tried it yet (I've bought the stuff, just not tried using it yet), the folks at MT have said that Coleman Camp fuel and a Qtip is what they use. It's supposed to only remove the lettering and not damage the base paint of the car. It's also known as white gas. The one thing that I have heard (and the reason I haven;t opened mine yet) is that once you open the container, its hard to get it to seal well again and the remainder can just evaporate if you aren't careful closing it back up.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members