Author Topic: How Much Do Railroads Charge Per Shipment?  (Read 1134 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
How Much Do Railroads Charge Per Shipment?
« on: May 20, 2017, 04:35:38 PM »
I was just wondering, anyone have any idea how much railroads charge per car shipment... let's say a 50' boxcar full?

I realize it depends on what's being shipped and the distance traveled. Any other factors I'm too dense to realize LOL?

Hmm... yeah, how much
for a boxcar full of termites
to New Orleans...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Kisatchie

• Crew
Re: How Much Do Railroads Charge Per Shipment?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:40:50 PM »
Never mind. I found this from 2006, which gets me started...

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/p/187338/2048866.aspx

Now on to Google...

Hmm... coulda told you
that...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
"It works! It works!"

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1631
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »
Too many variables to give a definitive answer.
Short hauls are generally expensive, so typically trucks make more sense on those.
There are fuel surcharges too that are variable based on diesel costs.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1154
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »
+2
They charge enough that my paycheck always clears...  :D

I imagine every customer is different, depending on volume, location, competition, work involved servicing the customer, equipment requirements...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:48:04 PM by Missaberoad »
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »
They charge enough that my paycheck always clears...  :D

I imagine every customer is different, depending on volume, location, competition, work involved servicing the customer, equipment requirements...

Hmm... so, it's too complex
to imagine...

"It works! It works!"

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2396
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
+1
I agree it's beyond complicated. According to the AAR, average rate is 4ยข per ton-mile, but like everyone says that doesn't include switching or spotting fees, fuel surcharges, route availability rates, car per diem, blah blah blah.

And that average rate is probably bogus, too, since the "average" is likely to be badly skewed by the bottom-dollar tonnage rates for mass "pipeline" commodities like coal. If the coal shippers paid a penny per ton-mile I'd be amazed. :|
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1154
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »

Hmm... so, it's too complex
to imagine...

The AAR figure of 4 cents per ton mile on average would probably give you a good idea.

It would be difficult to figure out anything more specific then an average tho, two shippers shipping the exact same thing can have entirely different shipping costs due to their individual situations. 
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
One can't figure an "average" rate anymore than an "average car number" means anything.

But some numbers stick in my mind after 40 years in the rail shipping racket. Back in the late 80's, SP was anxious to add cars to trains. Their pricing reflected it. When I worked at a large London-based chemical firm in Delaware, they put in a rate of $2200 per car for a tank car moving from the Houston area into North Carolina.

A rate today on a similar move where I work is anywhere from $8000-11000 per car.

When I started doing rail shipping in 1974, the company I worked for had a rate on scrap borings and turnings from the Chicago Switching District served by BN points into Keokuk of $9.89 gross ton, minimum of 70 gross tons.

To ship a car around Houston on PTRA will be $975 for non-haz, $1110 for hazmat.

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »
...Back in the late 80's, SP was anxious to add cars to trains. Their pricing reflected it. When I worked at a large London-based chemical firm in Delaware, they put in a rate of $2200 per car for a tank car moving from the Houston area into North Carolina.

A rate today on a similar move where I work is anywhere from $8000-11000 per car.

Might be cheaper just to build a pipeline LOL.

Hmm... holey moley...!

"It works! It works!"

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »
Was told that the trash cars (2 per car) that go from NY/NJ to a landfill in VA costs $1000.00 per container (round trip cost).  That was a couple years ago.