Author Topic: Respects - which posts?  (Read 1769 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
Respects - which posts?
« on: August 23, 2016, 01:18:20 AM »
Is there any way for a member to see which posts the received respect votes on?  I'm not interested in who voted, but would like to know what I said that earned the vote, plus or minus.
N Kalanaga
Be well

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Respects - which posts?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 07:49:01 AM »
Yes, but I'm not logging that at the moment.

MVW

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:31:46 AM »
Yes, but I'm not logging that at the moment.

That's a down vote.  :trollface:

Jim

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 02:33:33 PM »
Is there any way for a member to see which posts the received respect votes on?  I'm not interested in who voted, but would like to know what I said that earned the vote, plus or minus.

@nkalanaga,

Try this: Click on your username in any post you have made, which will take you to the Summary screen of your profile.  Then, at left, click on "Show Posts."  This is how you can go back and review your posts (in order with most recent first).  By clicking on individual posts, you will be taken to that post in a thread, where (if applicable) the post will show the individual up or downvotes.

Hope this helps,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 05:46:16 PM »
@nkalanaga,

Try this: Click on your username in any post you have made, which will take you to the Summary screen of your profile.  Then, at left, click on "Show Posts."  This is how you can go back and review your posts (in order with most recent first).  By clicking on individual posts, you will be taken to that post in a thread, where (if applicable) the post will show the individual up or downvotes.

Hope this helps,
DFF

That is the only way I found to do this and after about 2 dozen posts, I find that it is not worth looking for anymore.  Too bad that the vote count does not show up in the summary list of members posts (instead of having click on each post to open it up).
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 01:41:20 AM »
Thank you, everybody.  As Peteski said, it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle.  And, as few people as are probably interested, I can see why Tom isn't logging it.  That would be more space we couldn't use for pictures.

I've used the "Show Posts" before, to find a post, but didn't realize that it would show votes on that post.  I just thought that the total updated system-wide, and would be the same wherever I looked.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:42:55 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:49:11 AM »
Thank you, everybody.  As Peteski said, it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle.  And, as few people as are probably interested, I can see why Tom isn't logging it.  That would be more space we couldn't use for pictures.

I've used the "Show Posts" before, to find a post, but didn't realize that it would show votes on that post.  I just thought that the total updated system-wide, and would be the same wherever I looked.
logging them would add a table to the database and many rows to it. By adding more content to the database, it increases the db query time, making the site run slower.

wcfn100

• Crew
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:00:12 AM »
I don't know how the DB is set up but why would this be any different than the current 'show posts' except adding up or down votes to the query?

Jason

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 06:10:48 PM »
I'm just trying to reduce the amount of modifications that are made to the core source code and database to make the transition over to the upcoming version of smf easier.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 06:25:16 PM »
I'm just trying to reduce the amount of modifications that are made to the core source code and database to make the transition over to the upcoming version of smf easier.

I really like the simple streamlined user interface here. Hopefully they kept the human interface mostly the same. Some of the new-and-improved online forums are terrible. Lots of fancy graphical stuff, busy graphics and fancy scripts which do all sorts of stuff when the mouse hovers over things.
. . . 42 . . .

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 07:41:17 PM »
SMF tends to do mainly feature updates .. the system admin has most of the control of look and feel . I know I've always liked the simplicity .. too much crap on the screen just gets in the way

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 01:52:50 AM »
I also like the simple look.  Leave the fancy stuff for the forum geeks, who like to display their latest programming skills, and we'll concentrate on the trains.

Yes, somewhere, there is undoubtedly a forum for people interested in forum development.  I'm not looking for it...

Programmer term, from years ago:  "Creeping Featurism".  That's where the programmers/managers/"suits" keep adding "neat" features to a program or system, until eventually the original purpose is either forgotten or unusable.
N Kalanaga
Be well