Author Topic: The "Canadian"  (Read 806 times)

jjb62556

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
The "Canadian"
« on: August 21, 2015, 09:05:12 AM »
I have a question for a friends from the north.When Canadian Pacific ran the train, did they ever sub Maroon cars with the SS Budd cars? I have never seen a picture of this ever done.....Jim in Minnesota

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +274
Re: The "Canadian"
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 12:13:55 PM »
Yes, they did! Flipping through J. F. Gardens book "Nicholas Morant's Canadian Pacific" i see several images with maroon curved side baggage cars and a couple that appear to show maroon heavyweight sleepers subbing for the modernized (stainless clad) tourist sleepers. I wouldn't be surprised if a maroon 2200 coach subbed into the coach section occasionally, but I would be surprised to see anything other than stainless in the 'first class' section (sleepers, dining car and domes).

Geoff

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »
When the train sets were first introduced in 1955 they ran pretty much as delivered, albeit with the U series tourist sleepers ("semi stainlessed 14-1 HW's fauxed up to look good with the Budd consist) at the front of the train.

As years progressed the consist was altered and I have seen several shots of 2200's, Grove sleepers and full express baggage cars being added. In fact in the 60's the CPR painted some of each of these in a silver with maroon name band scheme to match the Budd consist and when repainted to CP Rail cars were introduced, the same cars had the Action Red band and CP Rail logo added to them.

More often when you see Budd cars mixed with tuscan 220o's, Groves and full express baggage cars together it would have been on the Dominion as opposed to the Canadian.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Nick Lorusso

• Crew
  • Lets see what I'm modeling this week
  • Respect: +118
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »
Puddy, When is Rapido doing a n-scale version?????
Regards,
Nick Lorusso
https://sbhrs.wildapricot.org/