Author Topic: a roundhouse of shelf queens  (Read 3531 times)

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
Re: a roundhouse of shelf queens
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »
I have some of those N scale loco display shelves, and most little used locos find their way there for display.  Some brass, some plastic for roads I don't run anymore, either way, they look good and add to the layout room, so why not?

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »
Back in the day, before Intermountain came out with their FP7's, I stretched the mechanisms of 4 Kato F units (can't model CPR in the 50's without FP's). They looked great, ran pretty well considering the radical surgery done to the working bits, but were noisy. Shells were kitbashed Kato, kitbashed Rapido, and Kaslo Shops.  Now that they have been replaced they have been relegated mostly to scenery duty at the Field roundhouse, but they still run and can be used in freight service if needed.

A lot of work went into those...

Geoff

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 10:26:01 AM »

I guessed that we would have some discussions about finding parts added to this.
I am sad to state that I have arrived at the conclusion that used locos are
the source for parts that one can't make.  I have learned to make parts also. (dangit)

I think I am not out of the ordinary when I state I do not sell locos.
I keep them as parts sources... one amusement for me is that what wears out or breaks
is the same in almost all such locos.
as an example, do not buy the old b-mann 2-8-0 in the expectation it will not have cracked gears...

I have seen the example loco in the background of photos, and I assumed
it was there for decoration not as motive power.

from some other threads I am wondering if the Kato gs-4 is heading the same way...

well, having a project loco is good for the soul.

victor

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2382
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
Since we have a locomotive breaker yard nearby, it is natural to think of a scene modeling it as a use for models that will never be run. Unfortunately, when broken down, model parts ≠ prototype parts. Where am I going to find N models of prime movers and traction motors? These are scattered everywhere around the property.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

Big Train

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 09:34:52 AM »
I used to think that model railroad was unique because our models actually run....as opposed to scale model aircraft or armour that is static. But there are a few exceptions such as the few that fit electric motors in prop aircraft to spins propellors or add blinking LEDs for navigation and anti collision lights.

So the idea of a static N scale locomotive was an anathema to me. Now, in retrospect, some of my early attempts at making Canadian prototype locomotives were done to locomotives with dodgy mechanisms, (such as Riva Rossi or early Atlas.....OK, flame away....) and have never ran that successfully.....but the paint looks great.

So, I'm starting to come around and view these as possible roundhouse queens. Whether they move or not is a moot point now. I think viewers get the idea the the all n scale locomotives actually work, so seeing a few sitting around the roundhouse isn't to far a stretch.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +729
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 10:11:11 AM »
Put those diesel locos in the shop or engine house, not the roundhouse please.  :scared:

Modifying a poor mechanism might result in a terrific model of a rare prototype that will not run well enough to justify the effort spent on the modeling, unless you just want a static model.

I have an old Lima F45 shell I modified to sit on a KATO C30-7 chassis. It runs well, but still looks like a Lima. Now the old V Line Erie Built shells that fit on the Con Cor PA chassis were a good match. Good looking shell sitting on the top performing loco mechanism of its time.
Peter Pfotenhauer

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2382
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 10:56:56 AM »
..., but still looks like a Lima. ...

Therein is most of my issue with the early N models - poor or exaggerated rendering of detail. I recall the Lima FP45, and at the time could not get over how grossly over scale the panel separators were and how the proportions were just "off". Never mind the early N locos weren't good runners, so many also weren't good models. The early Atlas was less exaggerated, but if I were to, say, park a bunch of Atlas/R-R E8's on the whiskers to bulk-up the facility, the Kato or BLI models on the readies would highlight the issues.

Put those diesel locos in the shop or engine house, not the roundhouse please.  :scared:

Heh. At least the "big 3" Southwestern roads operated many of their roundhouses well into the 1970s. Heck... for that matter, in 1975 a buddy and I had a "railfan New England" marathon, and on asking permission to be on the property at BAR's Bangor yard, they said "Sign here... just don't fall into the turntable pit." Beautifully kept, active roundhouse even then.

Generally, I have a hunch that Victor's supposition about using shelf queens as scene fodder is mostly about steam. Early steam models had the running issues of the day, but being more "organic" in form, were usually less in-your-face about the modeling infidelities. It makes a certain amount of sense to do this than knock yourself out trying to make everything runnable. The biggest challenge I would see with this is steam is so RR-specific and steam rarely ventured off-line and certain types of small steam didn't venture far from their home terminals, at all. For instance, an A1G IHB 0-8-0 gracing a UP roundhouse would seriously anger the incongruity gods.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

victor miranda

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »
 For instance, an A1G IHB 0-8-0 gracing a UP roundhouse would seriously anger the incongruity gods.

just pop the feed water heater off....  it'd be ok....

At some point in my deep and largely forgotten past

I had a layout (this is an ambitious term for it) and I had a three hole round engine house
and painted in a turntable.
my non working steam engine sat there as a decoration....
I recall a dead c-liner also.

when does one give up on repair attempts?
the dead steam engine above was a minitrix 0-6-0 I wore out
if the loco does not run.... well then what?
I have a friend with an atlas 2-8-8-2... it looks good.
It  takes a lot of concentrated effort to make it as good a runner.

I see kato Mikes running... mostly.
after that, I am not sure what others do with frustrating models.

Look at what Big train said.... he wanted some use from a loco he created
and given the mechanisms he had to use..... I can understand why they are not still going.
back to the concentrated effort part of a rebuild.

I dunno....
this thread may well end up at the engine house with a large n-scale sign
calling out " Honest Slim's used engines!"

I can't imagine doing a scrap line because depicting a steam engine with the boiler jacket removed is
a whole lot of modeling.
not to mention how I feel about steam engines on a scrap line.

.... back into the box is looking better to me now.....
ip!

victor

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1960
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
Victor, some railroads had places to store L.U.G. (laid up good) locomotives, see the pic below taken in San Bernardino.These locos were in decent shape, with maybe cab windows covered in plywood and stacks plugged. In practice, most of these ever saw service again and ended up in deadline, the last step before scrapping.
Otto

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Blackout

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 06:26:01 AM »
I agree with Gary; don't sell junk to unsuspecting people.  That is what gives train show tables a bad name, plus discourages future model railroaders.  If something is junk, give it to someone who needs parts or sell it a "parts only".  Not too long ago, I actually put a Con-Cor E-8 into the trash along with other household garbage.  It quit running and no parts were available, also it was obsolete and had the old late 1960s Rivarossi body shell with the cast on horns.  If something is obsolete, but runs OK and has no collector value, sell or trade it cheap.  Otherwise, think about trashing it rather than burdening your heirs.  Be realistic.  The standard for current N scale is operating knuckle couplers, DCC ready or DCC equipped, lighted number boards with numbers, prototype finish, and diode lighting.  Availability of parts is a plus.  Junk dealers with high pricing at train shows are like predatory pawn shops.

I've screwed a couple of times by similar. The latest was this summer. Bought some N diesels from a guy. Atlas units from 2000-2003 era. Had brokedown wobbly running trucks/wheels. The first time've ever seen an Atlas run that way.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 08:58:21 AM »
I've screwed a couple of times by similar. The latest was this summer. Bought some N diesels from a guy. Atlas units from 2000-2003 era. Had brokedown wobbly running trucks/wheels. The first time've ever seen an Atlas run that way.

Contact Atlas directly and you should likely be able to get replacement trucks to get those locomotives up and running correctly.  Surprisingly, they're not that expensive either to purchase the complete truck assembly.  There's no excuse for a 2000-2003 era Atlas product running poorly, except for neglect.  Clearly, the previous owner did not properly care for his locomotives.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

rschaffter

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
I've got an old MRC Berkshire I could never get to run smoothly, even with a Sagami moopr.  It surges at low speeds, no matter what I did to it...
Cheers,
Rod Schaffter

victor miranda

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 11:53:26 PM »
surges at slowspeed....

I am thinking this is a pick-up issue.
and I have to add that an eccentric  worm-wheel can give you a reliable surge...

so pick-up are where I'd start.

'tis frustrating. no doubt.

victor

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 01:06:36 AM »
I have many, many Atlas A1G locomotives (hence my site) and I could never be rid of them but, as Victor wondered above, when do you give up or otherwise set them aside?

I am able to keep all of them running, to the point of rewinding motors and such but it gets to wearing thin after a while because they just don't run too long before needing attention again - wearing brushes, dirty contacts, headlights burning out, etc. so they usually are only brought out to run for awhile, just to see them run again, and then put back and the newer locos brought back out.

BTW, my MRC Berkshire is one exception. It has always run smoothly and silently. However, it is usually not on the layout either because I want it to stay that way.

Otto, those photos are at once incredible and sad at the same time.

Doug
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:09:38 AM by Doug G. »
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1960
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
Otto, those photos are at once incredible and sad at the same time.

Doug

I know, very sad. Eventhough I actually have room in my San B'dno yard to model the boneyard, somehow I can't quite bring myself to do it.... it would seem a bit morbid :(
Otto