Author Topic: Vallejo Paint - Comments  (Read 1062 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +157
Vallejo Paint - Comments
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:57:18 PM »
I'm posting this here because I want to know how it works on N-Scale models.  Anyone used this stuff with an airbrush?  If so, what pressure and does it need to be thinned?  Our local craft store is getting some in and I need to know if I should consider it for my models.

Doug

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4850
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Vallejo Paint - Comments
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »
This paint gets rave reviews from modelers who write articles in the FineScale Modeler (mostly military vehicles, SciFi and figures).  Supposedly that paint has exceptional coverage (very opaque) and it brushes on very well. I don't seem to recall anybody using it in an airbrush but I might have missed that.  I do know that majority of those modelers apply it with a brush.

I bought a bottle of yellow but haven't had the occasion to try it out yet.  I was planning on brush-painting (I'm not big on airbrushing any water-based paints).
. . . 42 . . .

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »
Several
greys could pass for the various SP dark grey fade conditions.  I will have to see if its available locally. 

As a military pant I might seek advice from a military modeling forum, or thin it 33% and spray at 15-18psi like Humbrol...
Support fine modeling

BCOL 747

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 05:21:57 PM »
Hi Doug

I used their paint on the Oneida & Western SD40-2 you saw at the PGE/BCR convention this past summer.  Vallejo has two different types of paint. The Model Air stuff is made to airbrush right out the bottle (no thinning) and they have a thinner for their regular Model Color stuff. I have used both with very good results. I don't have a air gauge on my compressor, but I treated it the same way you would treat Polly Scale, about 1/3 thinner to paint. Drop me an e mail or phone call if you need any tips when you go to use it.

What are you painting?

Chris

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +157
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
Nothing at the moment.  Just asking because our local craft store is bringing it in.  Would be nice if I could use some, mainly their clear and flat coatings.  I'm using TLT paints for the BCR colors.

Doug