Author Topic: New MTL bodystyle in autumn 2012 - 1960s Greenville 60ft DPD boxcar w/rfwk  (Read 9876 times)

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1156
Hello from middle of no where Wyoming...on the way to Denver.

The model will have two different underframes for the differnt bolster centers and a new truck for the 36 inch wheel version...proper length between axles.  We are also doing some interesting surface detail work that will make these cars out of the ordinary.  More when I get time to relax in Denver.

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
    • My train pics
Joe, I like the part about how you said MTL is going to do a version without the roofwalk, too  :trollface:

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
...new truck for the 36 inch wheel version...proper length between axles.
Joe

So we'll see a real 100T truck from MT soon?

Wonder if there will be one with coupler attached, like a 1035, but 100T, and if so, I'm gonna need around 600 pair...crap.

But I'm in for a roofwalk less and short ladder versions of this car.

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
This is awesome news! Just remember Joe PROPER RIDE HEIGHT! I really like the new cars you guys have done recently starting with the 4000 cu/ft covered hoppers keep up the good work. 8)

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +435
re: Proper ride height - I don't think this is even an option anymore, producing a car with an incorrect ride height limits your market to the collector field only, the correct ride height, or close to it, pleases both the collectors and the runners/modelers.

In this economy, there is no reason to limit what groups you market to.
I’m not here to argue

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +640
re: Proper ride height - I don't think this is even an option anymore, producing a car with an incorrect ride height limits your market to the collector field only, the correct ride height, or close to it, pleases both the collectors and the runners/modelers.

In this economy, there is no reason to limit what groups you market to.

I wish someone would tell this to FVM, specifically their modern boxcars....

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +375
Hello from middle of no where Wyoming...on the way to Denver.

The model will have two different underframes for the differnt bolster centers and a new truck for the 36 inch wheel version...proper length between axles.  We are also doing some interesting surface detail work that will make these cars out of the ordinary.  More when I get time to relax in Denver.

Joe

Have you had enough time to relax in Denver yet, Joe?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Andrew Hutchinson

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
As has been noted, the GN cars were ACF. Staffan Enhbom did an article modifying the HO ConCor Greenville car to better represent the 139000 series cars in the April 1997 issue of Model Railroader.

Andrew Hutchinson

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +375
As has been noted, the GN cars were ACF. Staffan Enhbom did an article modifying the HO ConCor Greenville car to better represent the 139000 series cars in the April 1997 issue of Model Railroader.

Uh huh, but Joe was going to tell us more about the new MTL car, as this thread initially started out announcing (not specifically a GN car).
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1156
Sorry, got busy.

Tooling is underway, I have the first shots of the underframe and am testing the two different truck locations now with couplers.   So far so good.  We have been doing some experiments with the roof walks and are looking at new materials.   The new 100 ton truck is about ready to test shoot and I will post shots as they show up.  Tooling notes that we should see first shots of the shell next week...parts are in EDM right now.  So stuff is coming together.  I am hoping by mid month to have all the parts so I can post shots. 

Cheers
Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8935
    • Conrail 1285
Very cool on that 100T truck!

I can't wait to see these. I'm a big fan of 60' autoparts cars.

Any chance that the frames you're using on these could easily be retrofit to the existing 60' cars to lower them?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4669
    • www.bbussey.net
Any chance that the frames you're using on these could easily be retrofit to the existing 60' cars to lower them?

Except that the body height is compressed to compensate for the higher ride-height, so lowering the current 60-footers to a better ride height would drop the roof line below its prototypical height.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8935
    • Conrail 1285
Eh, I still think it'd be an improvement.